Onroad80

Dimension

I am drawing a plot plan and the terrain perimeter is angled a few degrees.  How can I show a dimension between the terrain perimeter and the setback line?  The manual dimension tool doesn't work unless the terrain CAD lines are the set angles allowed by CA.  I turn off the angle snaps and grid snaps, and it still won't draw a dimension.  

5b9edfe4934f9_ScreenShot2018-09-16at5_54_49PM.thumb.png.c1ae36ab308787ec8bf6f5baabaf1fd2.png

I want to dimension between where the red arrow shows between the terrain perimeter and setback line on a plot plan.  

You can use the End-to-End Dimension tool, and if you have Preferences>Edit>Snap Properties>Object Snaps>On Object checked, the tool should infer the perpendicular as you drag the dimension to the second line. This screenshot was while the tool was active, with the cursor hovering over the second line as I was placing the dimension; note the green On Object indicator is visible and a blue dotted line shows the inferred perpendicular:

dim.thumb.PNG.4aaa843db8d99f1678bedd9a019af4b4.PNG

If you end up with a dimension that is not perpendicular to the lines, you can always use Make Parallel/Perpendicular on the dimension line. 

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    RainaHinteriors
    Newest Member
    RainaHinteriors

• By Renerabbitt
      Open to new work. I've been working remotely for clients for years and can easily navigate the issues that present themselves from remote work. I have plenty of references and videos demonstrating my various services. The following images are snippets from my site at www.RabbittDesign.net

I offer training-while-drafting services in Chief Architect as well as training in Sketchup, Thea Render, Photoshop, Premiere Pro and Procreate.
      I tend to cater to experienced designers and drafters in Chief Architect, many of which benefit from and are quite pleased with anno/layer sets, library items, toolbars, and a more cohesive folder structure and .plan and .layout files. 
      A few hours of my service may cut hours off of every project you have going forward.
      Feel free to check out my YouTube channel dedicated to all things drafting, designing, modeling and rendering in my signature below.
      Take a look at some of my recent design work in the Gallery
      Also, take a look at the extensive Free Content Thread and continued free content YouTube Series:

• By LeeDrafter
      Hi All,
      I would like to control the display of CAD line length and angle labels by layer in addition to via the dbx. Is there a way to do this? I know how to use the dbx below under display options, but I have a file with a bunch of different polylines and I would like to be able to turn on and off the labels without opening a dbx for each one. I would also like to display labels with some layer sets and not others for layout views. Thanks for any suggestions!

• By rwaldrondesigns
      I have tried looking up videos and maybe my search simply did not bring up the right video, but I want to place a rope light in my wall railing on stairs. It seems there is no option to angle the rope light, is this correct?
    • By rwaldrondesigns
      I have tried looking up videos and maybe my search simply did not bring up the right video, but I want to place a rope light in my wall railing on stairs. It seems there is no option to angle the rope light, is this correct?
    • By pgjacob
      Hi All
      I am wondering if you can create a new material from polylines.  I have made many new materials from images.  But in this instance I would like to make a series of metal circles to use to "paint" a hemi-sphere.  I could find an image to use to do this, but I want the circles to actually have real holes so light can shine through them.  I have attached an example of this for a light.  I am able to create a series of holes using a circle and the 3D molding polyline, multiple copy them and add to the library, but material is not an option.  This may not be possible...
      thanks
      melissa