Terrain as symbol issue. Interference with hidden symbols in plan

VisualDandD

I am doing a lake lot with 60' for vertical fall.   There will have to be significant grading involved.   I have never done this before, but I decided that a neat way to do it would be take the existing terrain and convert to symbol.   I can then overly on the "live" terrain.

I can then adjust terrain on the lot to suit my needs and model finished product.   I can reference the existing terrain by turning off original terrain symbol and making sure I am staying within my desired scope of work site-work wise.

OK...that part has worked great.   The problem is, I have a huge symbol over the entire area that the program recognizes.  Any time I try to place anything in the model, I get the nasty reminder that there is an interference problem....place anyway.

What is worse, is some things like cabinets. soffits will not place at all.   I have to drag 200' away, place in a blank area of plan and then drag back over.

Anyone have a solution for this.  I tried playing with various settings for the "orignal" terrain symbol, but I could not find anything that allows it to "play nice" with the other objects.

I could point to point move it in and out of my model space for building ease ....but wish there was a way I could keep where it lies and just have the program ignore it......

Any thoughts?

Try setting the elevation reference of the terrain symbol to "absolute".  Add another floor and move the symbol to that floor.  You should then be able to add your cabinets without interference.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, javatom said:

Try setting the elevation reference of the terrain symbol to "absolute".  Add another floor and move the symbol to that floor.  You should then be able to add your cabinets without interference.

I'll try that and let you know if that works!

I never thought of moving to another floor......Thanks!

Tom's suggestion is a good one, but here's another (depending on what exactly you need).  You can also just set the bounding box for your symbol to something super small.  Just make sure you change the size of the object to match.  Biggest downside is that it can be difficult to select the object if you don't remember exactly where the bounding box is (back and center unless you purposely change that).