Keynotes in Chief Architect

GerryT

• 1 month later...
On 6/23/2018 at 2:26 AM, GerryT said:

Here's a Demo video as to how I previously handled keynotes in chief using just macros. I decided to show for comments. if you like a particular feature or not you might want to submit a comment to chief now so that it gets considered when they implement keynotes in 'who knows' future revision.

Keynotes in Chief architect

Just found the time to watch both videos, very useful. Have time scheduled this week to finish off the cabinet pricing stuff and think I can use some of this there. I also see a use for this with drafting clients but even more for the construction notes. May try to blend with the plant note thing which gets a little out of hand in the library with multiple clients each with different needs.

• 4 months later...
On 6/23/2018 at 1:26 AM, GerryT said:

Here's a Demo video as to how I previously handled keynotes in chief using just macros. I decided to show for comments. if you like a particular feature or not you might want to submit a comment to chief now so that it gets considered when they implement keynotes in 'who knows' future revision.

Keynotes in Chief architect

The link provided is no longer working.  Would you mind sharing the video again?  I would appreciate knowing more about Keynotes in CA.

I built an extensive library and system for key notes, without macros. Not all of us are Ruby wiz kids. It surprising how many options there are within Chiefs schedules that use can use. I was using it for mostly commercial but I've started using for my residential. Michael gave me a lot of ideas for this that I've tried to incorporate. I'll post a video later today. It gets a little convoluted when you try to use it on sections and elevations because of the way labels populate in those camera views. 

I'm hoping fingers crossed that we get something better in the next Chief. A good notes system like what Vectorworks has can be used and implemented in stages.....

1. notes management and easy updating or maintenance of your notes database. Just placing your notes (without keynotes) all over your plan is easier.

2. Keynote implementation with a keynote schedule streamlines annotations for 1/8" plans like in commercial work.

3. Using keynotes for details is less economical because the notes are usually directly next to the detail in layout space. So keynotes arent needed. But users with a mechanical drawing background will still use them here such as when the to exploded parts views. Not really applicable to Chief.

4. Using a schedule of keynotes could have an additional column in the note schedule for code refernce numbers or even referencing into the detailed spec book.

5. Universal layout file not updating....imagine you need to update every note where you changed the wall insulation R value from R-13 to R-21. Chief can do this manually with it's find properties tool, but a good notes database or keynote system makes one change easier to implement across all the sheets. If you use the tools we have now with schedules, you can click the line of the schedule, then find in plan, and you can update the note that way. It works, has probably too many steps, but it's manaeable.