Manual Dimensions Are Like Saran Wrap

4hotshoez

They don't grab what you need while sticking to stuff I don't want. Is there a setting for this or a key combination? At times I am trying to run a string of dimensions across a room but it grabs wing walls. At times I do want the wing walls or whatever and it wont. What is the trick? There must be one or two.

I know it is about proximity, but I want control.

Thanks,

Todd

sounds like you need to adjust the extension line's  reach , make it shorter perhaps , draw in closer when you want wing walls, draw out further when you don't ?

What the dimensions "grab" onto is determined in the Plans Defaults > dimensions>locate objects DBX

note that you wont get a temp dimension if there is a manual/auto one already too close to the area....

M.

The locate objects panel of your dimension defaults can help you control what your dimension lines pick up.  If you double click on the dimension tool, you will go right into the current defaults.  You can tweak the settings and then draw.

Also, there are different dimension tools that do different things.  You may want to play around with the end to end or the interior dimension tools to see what they do.

You can also drag the dimension 'handles' to locate them where you want them, such as if one 'sticks' to the wrong place or skips over something you actually want dimensioned.

You can do this by clicking on a dimension (the actual numeral, not the line itself) which will make the entire line editable; you will get diamond 'handles' that you can click/drag across and position as needed.