Doug_N

Layout reference grid for columns

I am working on a project that requires the plan view of each floor to have a reference grid that intersects at each column.   Is there a easy way to do this where each grid has an alpha callout at the top of the layout view and numeric callout along one or both sides.

Doug Norton

Whitby Ontario Canada

Cameras displayed as callout with cross section lines and visible on all floors are my personal favorite method.  Biggest downside is lack of ability to snap to those lines.

but that means two cameras for each and every column grid pair doesn't it?

Edited by Doug_N
Thought of a clearer response

20 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

but that means two cameras for each and every column grid pair doesn't it?

Yes, but then they will remain constant on all floors.  Much less room for error.  You can also just use callouts with cross section lines and Copy/Paste in Place from floor to floor or use your Reference Dispaly and/or overlap views in layout but IMO, cameras are the most dependable, most flexible, and least error prone.

Well ok then.  lol.  I will give it a try.  It will give me a boatload of cross sections to boot.  

Thanks for the tip.

You bet.  Maybe consider adding your support to this suggestion...

By my support you are referring to asking for this feature in CA?   I am certainly in for that!

Thanks for you help.   

Doug

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    RobScott
    Newest Member
    RobScott

• By verticalworks
      We have limited space on our layout page and more pages than can fit. I cannot seem to find a way to do columns. The only option is to shrink the font but that will not be an option as the city requires a minimum font size. All I can come up with is to do a manual text box. This seems like there should be an easy solution to this as I know plan sets that are 60-80 pages and you would need multiple columns to show all the pages. Thought?

• By kylejmarsh
      I like to use Line Style renderings for my concept sets - and have noticed that when i use them the backgrounds print out black. This when I have them set to 'live view - update on demand'

I export using the chief pdf exporter - then open in Preview and the backgrounds look white - then I print and they're black.

I have checked the background of the line style viewports, and have even specifically set it to a 'white' background.

In the chief menu, I have selected and changed all my window and colors to white as much as possible even, and no change.

When the pdf is exported from Preview, after the export from chief, and made into JPEG files for each sheet it will print correctly.

Trying to figure out what's going on - pretty sure it's not my printer - and i've tried printing from other PDF readers and no dice. Also, if I print from the 'mac print dialogue' and use the native pdf exporter, the files come out without the black background, but there are other issues (different thread I suppose). 

My hunch is that it's somewhere in the chief achitect PDF converter, maybe specific to mac computers. Anybody else having this problem? It has been posted about before but never saw resolution.

Miller - Concept Layout Cover Test.pdf

Miller - Concept Layout - July21.pdf

• By PPRGLLC
      I usually print layouts on 24"x 36" paper so that is what my layout template is set up to do. A client wants to print on 11"x 17". When I change the size of the drawing sheet, it changes the paper size without adjusting the title boxes, notes, etc. Is there a way to resize the entire layout without creating a new layout template for 11" x 17" paper? 
    • By HDbyJustin
      The architect I am moonlighting for wants the title sheet to be rotated 90° to the rest of the sheets. I am not sure this is possible without creating a new layout just to have the title sheet be in the correct orientation. Is this an accurate assumption?
    • By kylejmarsh
      Upon sending 3D cameras to layout, I've noticed that they don't come through with the same aspect ratio as shown on my screen. That means I need to zoom waay in to get the view to look correct on the layout. What gives? Is there some setting I'm missing or is this a bug?

Here you see a screen shot of my camera (exactly as shown, with no toolbars turned on so it's the full CA window) and the view as sent to layout (again, cropped perfectly to show how the camera came through). Next I match the widths and put them side by side to show the difference. What accounts for this? I have been unable to figure it out.