Truss Joints

LevisL

Go to solution Solved by DavidJPotter,

Hi folks! I need help from the experts to create a custom truss. For whatever reason, I just can't get Chief to make the truss have the shape I want by dragging the shape outline. Here's what Chief creates:

post-108-0-13863700-1406323297_thumb.png

So, I went in the truss detail and made the adjustments I want:

post-108-0-04749700-1406323322_thumb.png

But now a lot of the framing members I added or modified have the wrong mitres on the ends. How can I fix this?

The method I use takes a lot more effort than should be req'd, but if I really need the correct truss profile I can usually arrive at the configuration I need.

Get the truss as close to what you want as you can.  Then pull a back clipped cross section of the truss and then use the CAD Detail from view command.  In the CAD Detail I use offset lines to represent the sides of the members and then create a closed polyline for each member.

Once this is done you can copy the members and open the original cross section view and use the Paste Hold Position edit command.  From here you can convert to polyline solids with the correct thickness.  There are a lot of undesireable issues that arise from using this method, but you can get the correct configuration.

You can group the members together by creating either an Architectural Block or even converting to a symbol.  This does group the members, but plan display in combination with walls is not correct.  A 2D CAD object will generally fix the display issues, but very annoying to have to deal with constant work arounds to solve what should be common issues.

After sending to layout you can edit out the unwanted lines using the"Edit Layout tool" or yo might try extending the chord and then use the "Trim" command to get closer to exactly what you want in terms of 2D and 3D.

DJP

Thanks David. Using the trim command worked perfectly. I was trying to avoid using the Edit Layout tool or making my section a CAD Detail.