Bretkennedy74

Polygon Solid Glass

I am having some trouble seeing my polygon on my 3d view. I have followed the example in the bathrooms video, when I place the plygon on the pony wall and go back to a plan view, my polygon isn't red, it is there so I move it into place, but when I look on the 3d, it isn't visible. 

I have tried changing materials but seem to be missing something, I have attached pics. This is just the latest iteration of preferences. 

anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Bret

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 7.02.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 7.03.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 7.05.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 7.05.15 PM.png

Please post the plan. Make sure it's not open in Chief.

Make sure the layer it's on is set to display in whatever view you are in.

I changed the material to Green Glass here so it would show up.

ct1.thumb.jpg.b1a85e0c198763e33c38cb58983c1b9f.jpg

1 hour ago, Bretkennedy74 said:

got it. Ok I don't really know a lot about layers, have to find that video I think :)

appreciate the help

Eric is refer to the Display Layers Option  or the ALDO (Active Layer Display Options)  which I normally have open on the side to turn "layers" on and off in Views as needed, anything will a RED Cross is ON (seen) in the view, it is a very powerful feature, as is using Custom Layers.

The ALDO is available for ALL views in Chief via the View Menu.

M.

The Knowledge Base is very handy for info if you are new to CA.....

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03007/using-the-active-layer-display-options.html

and the new Tutorial guide is worth getting and  going through too...

https://cloud.chiefarchitect.com/1/pdf/documentation/chief-architect-current-tutorial-guide.pdf

• Upvote 1

I would really recommend that people try going through the Tutorial Guide too.   In fact, I would suggest that the Tutorial Guid e is probably the single best place to start.  The Help files, the knowledge base, various tutorial videos, etc. are all great but that approach inevitably leads to people skipping over important fundamental basics.   The Tutorial Guide serves as a very good introduction to all the important concepts each user will need to understand to effectively and efficiently utilize Chief. 

• Upvote 1

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Stevemrb
    Newest Member
    Stevemrb

• By HeartwoodRes
      Hey ChiefTalk, how's everyone doing?

I'm trying to make a 7' tall frameless shower with a partial ponywall on one side and a curb under the rest, as shown in the attached picture.

I've successfully created what I want with two different methods:
      1. Creating glass slab half walls at my desired height, then using soffits to create the ponywall and curb under the glass wall
      2. Using a pony wall, where the bottom half is the 6" tall curb and the top half is my 7' tall glass wall

However, anytime I try to paint a new material onto the soffits (the correct tile finish), the glass wall cuts off half of the soffit, both on the curb and the ponywall (shown in second picture).

Why would the material painter screw up my soffits? It’s not changing anything structurally, just the appearance of the soffits (Right?). I've been instructed both by the reference manual and other users on this forum to use soffits to create simplistic surfaces like this shower curb, so I'm a bit vexed.

p.s. While we’re at it, if anyone has a suggestion for a better way to create a frameless glass shower like this, I’m all ears. This is simply the way that I figured out how to do it myself.

Thanks!

• By Alyssa
      Has anyone figured out how to create glass? 

I am trying to construct a very minimal shower, but I don't see any glass color options, or glass pieces. 

Likewise, I do not see any non framed mirrors, am I nuts? 

If anyone has a way to get frames off of things, color something glass, or finds a minimal mirror, please let me know!
    • By EricWMLim
      Hi,

Can anyone please help me here?

I have been reading the forum on ray trace topics especially on glass materials and there are a few articles on recommended settings for glass materials in ray trace.
      I have also watched the ray trace training videos too.

There have been suggestions in the past forum to overcome glass materials issues for ray trace.  Generally they are:
      1) change the glass to General Material and increase transparency to 50-70% and increase emissivity a bit
      2) use the Crown Glass with refraction index 1.52 and select "compute caustics" and "use photon mapping"
      3) use transparent material for glass material and tweak the refraction index

I have tried all the above three methods and spent countless hours but I still ended up white speckles.  Worse still, the light bulb in the glass pendant lights looked distorted due to the refraction index of crown glass.  

In the attached ray trace image, I have placed 3 pendant lights. 
      For this ray trace image, I opted to use Crown Glass with refraction index 1.52 and select "compute caustics" and "use photon mapping"

The furthest globe pendant light is turned OFF, with the middle one turned ON, and the one closest to the camera is ON.
      All pendants have speckles and this image was run for 10 passes.  The light bulb in the glass ball pendant lights are distorted in the first and third.

How do I ensure the light bulb inside the glass ball pendant light is not distorted AND getting rid of the white speckles?

I don't believe running more than 10 passes, say 100 passes will eliminate the white speckles.

Anyone has any ideas?  This is frustrating for me because it means I have to refrain using glass materials for ray trace and this is just not possible especially when doing bathroom designs with glass shower screens.

Thanks,
      Eric

Kitchen_with_glass_pendant.zip

• By JSM_AmericasBath
      I'm fairly new and self-taught with Chief Architect and just recently started experimenting with the raytrace feature to produce a couple of more realistic visuals. For some reason I am getting a weird convex bubble in my shower glass in a couple of models. Not all of them, just a few. I don't know if there is a particular setting I should locate and adjust, but I definitely don't understand why the glass is starting to "fish-eye".

Any help or suggestions?

• By Rytikom25
      I am trying to create a wall like the one in the picture with glass and a grid-like frame. How can I go about doing this?