Is There A Ways Migrate Cabinet Defaults From One Plan To Another Without Killing All Other Defaults?

zowie123

Go to solution Solved by Peter_Lime_Jello,

Hi,

I have cabinets from one plan that I want to use in another plan-- and add more cabinets, but my defaults are different, can I migrate cabinet defaults without killing all my other defaults?

What's the best way to migrate cabinet defaults?

Thanks for considering..

Cheers

Z

Another Option is to add your cabinets to your User Library.  Then place them in the new Plan, select and set as Default.  This will change the Plan Defaults for the type of Cabinet (Base, Wall, Tall, etc.)

I use a Library of Cabinets with separate folders:

Frameless

1/2" Overlay

1-1/4" Overlay

Full Inset

with Base, Wall, Full Height, Sink Base, Dishwasher Base, Compactor Base, Oven & Microwave, etc.  That way I seldom have to configure a new Cabinet - I can simply select the one I want completely configured except for custom material selections and Door/Drawer styles.  Note that chagning the Defaults will change every cabinet of the same type throughout the plan if it's set to Use Default.

This can be a very powerful way of working with Cabinets, Doors, Windows, etc.

Joe,

Do you have to remove the (D) everywhere it appears in the cabinet spec dbx before you add it to your library? If that isn't done, won't the cabinet pick up the current cabinet defaults in the target plan when it's added from the library?

Related: If you make changes to the component properties of a cabinet & then add it to your library, does that cabinet retain the component changes when added to another plan from the library?

Jim,

You're correct about needing to remove the (D) before adding to the Library.  Otherwise, the current Defaults will over-ride what you put in the Library.  For some things (like Toe-Kick dimensions, Countertop thickness, etc) I don't bother to remove the (D) but for most things I do that.

My experience is that component changes are saved and carried forward.  It could be just that I've also saved the components in my Default Plan.  Most of the component detail I have is universal (ie: just additional notes that Chief didn't otherwise provide for.)