Moving Chief Files from C: to Another Drive

solver

Windows Only

Chief stores user data in a folder under Documents.

On my system the path is D:\Users\e\Documents\Chief Architect Premier X9 Data

Note the D:, and not C:.

The easy way to do this is to move the entire Documents folder from its default location on C, to any other disk.

This is a feature built into windows.

See this article for a how to. https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/moving-your-personal-data-folders-in-windows-vista-the-easy-way/

The article was written for Windows Vista, but newer versions work the same.

I've run this configuration for 20+ years without problems.

----------

There is also a way to move only the Chief data folder to another drive, but it requires familiarity with DOS and the command line. Not difficult, but not as easy as what is shown above.

I recommend moving the entire Documents folder, and not just the Chief folder.

47 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I try to keep my plans on the "C" drive b/c it's an Ssd drive and thus faster, who knows if it actually is faster for that.

I ran some tests a month or two ago on plan files and saw no difference with either drive. 

At one time (X8) I had the data files on D, hard drive, and there appeared to be a difference when I reinstalled to C (ssd). But I did not actually test it, just perceived a (healthy) differenc. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/22/2017 at 8:36 AM, solver said:

There is also a way to move only the Chief data folder to another drive, but it requires familiarity with DOS and the command line. Not difficult, but not as easy as what is shown above.

This is actually a preference in the program, no hacking necessary :D :

folders.thumb.png.1a1239bb33893f7ab720257f9a748626.png