Hi All,

I am having trouble adjusting the height of attic walls. It seems to be a new problem in version X9. In previous versions, I was able to edit the walls in 3D using the handles and size and shape them manually. See the attached plan. I am working with the attic walls above the garage. I have drawn the belly bands, and I want the walls above the belly band to be board and batten. The ceiling height is set at the belly band height, so that doesn't seem to be what the 3D wall is based on. Thanks for your help!

LOT 7 PHEASANT HAVEN, BENNETT.zip

3D PIC.jpg

An easy way is to make the lower wall a pony wall -- siding-6 over siding-6.

Adjust so the split is behind the band.

ct1.thumb.jpg.d28046632582eab2a86eab8a07162f0a.jpg

• Upvote 1

thank you! that was easy! I am actually having this problem with a lot of my plans now in X9 even with more normal attic walls than in the plan above. I attached an example here where the attic walls don't quite meet the belly bands where they did before in previous chief versions. I don't know why the side gables look right but the back one doesn't.  Making the pony wall (split behind the belly band) would solve the problem, but it seems like the height of the bottom of the attic wall should be something I can control by changing some sort of default setting.

LOTS T1&T2 GREAT NORTHERN HEIGHTS.zip

back gable pic.jpg

It is Best practice not to Pull / Push or alter Wall Poly-lines in 3D unless all you are after is 3D Pics/Elevations etc as that move alters Default wall heights and the Framing etc too....

Bottom of the Attic wall should be at Room Height plus the thickness of the Ceiling or Floor assembly above it... usually....

On the plan attached you need to rebuild you foundation , auto build is off and you have altered the Floor plan after building it... , look in 3D under the Garage Door

You might update your signature now that you have X9, by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page, click Account Settings, then Signature on the left.

There is something goofy going on there -- notice you cannot apply a corner board.

I drag wall tops and bottoms all the time doing just like you have done here, but I'm generally doing a rendering where structure doesn't matter.

I would suggest using a Material Region where you need a different wall finish instead of dragging wall polylines. Or using a Pony Wall.

Also check out the Flush Eave option. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/9/2017 at 2:41 PM, solver said:

An easy way is to make the lower wall a pony wall -- siding-6 over siding-6.

Adjust so the split is behind the band.

ct1.thumb.jpg.d28046632582eab2a86eab8a07162f0a.jpg

I would say that this is probably the best practice, and adjusting your attic walls should be avoided.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Chiefkebo
    Newest Member
    Chiefkebo

• By SNestor
      For some reason I cannot get an attic wall to generate above an invisible wall in the attached plan.  I did a test using an OOB Chief Template plan...and the attic walls work as advertised.  Therefore...it seems I've messed with a setting somewhere in my template plan.  

Can someone look at the attached test plan and see if you can discern what I've done...thanks in advance.

ATTIC WALL MISSING.plan  
    • By tchomes
      I opened a plan in X9 this morning that I completed in X8 back in January.  To my suprise, the attic walls for the dormers are sticking above the roof and the windows in that area are messed up.  I have noticed this happening before with older plans that we use to modify.  I decided to take some time this morning and look through the forums and try to determine what is going on between X8 & X9.  We have so many more issues with X9 and attic walls and auto dormers.  Something apparently changed...

See photos below of what is appearing when I open the file in X9.  I can open in X8 and it appears correct.

I assume some simple setting that I need to fix when opening these older plans.  I appreciate the help so I can quit scratching my head and placing blame somewhere else

• By SNestor
      I have a general question regarding roof trusses and attic walls.  

If I choose to raise the roof plane then an attic wall is created.  Automatically this wall is a copy of the wall below it...so, typically it will have drywall on it...which is not needed in the attic.  So...I create a new "attic wall" type...without the drywall.  However, if I will be using roof trusses with an "energy heel"...what happens to this "attic wall"?  

As you can see from the framing perspective view...the attic wall does not show....except at the gable ends.  (I have attic walls turned on).  Does the use of "roof trusses" override the attic wall?  I'm wondering if the materials for the attic wall are still being calculated.  Also...the attic wall does appear in the cross section view.  

Needless to say...it's a bit confusing.

• By GMTinc
      What is the best way to resolve the issue of lower shed or bay roofs, covering projections in gable walls, cutting the automatically generated gable attic wall?  This, I am sure, has been asked before, but I cannot readily find such a thread.  Thanks for your help
    • By WhistlerBuilder
      Hello Everyone,

I am stumped on an issue with dormer walls. I have a design that uses a cape cod roof bearing on the 1st floor walls. The top floor of this design has two dormers. These dormers have 1 exterior wall on the top side, and 1 interior wall on the lower side. I cannot figure out how to get the lower side walls to show with siding above the roof and drywall below the ceiling inside on the top floor.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance. People are so helpful on these forums!

Cheers,
      Florence Addition.plan