HeatherL

Rugs won't stay put when I try to put objects on top of them?

Hey guys, this is the first time I have posted one of these. So I am using Home designer Pro 2018. I have been having issues getting furniture to sit on top of rugs. I tried to do the whole send to front and send to back but that does absolutely nothing. Basically, when I try to put anything on top of a rug, it just pushes the rug out without putting my selected object on top of it. It does it with toilets and toilet rugs, bedroom furniture, dining room furniture, essentially things that would generally go on top of the rugs. 

You have found the Chief Architect forum (green theme). The Home Designer products (blue theme) are discussed at HomeTalk.

Posting your plan file will often help with suggestions.

Look at the rug thickness and set that amount "Off The Floor" distance on the furniture. So if your rug is 3/4" open DBX on your furniture and set 3/4 off the floor height 

• Upvote 1

Oh, sorry for posting to the wrong forum. Got a pretty good answer though. I didn't even think of that. Thanks guys!

I rarely use rugs, but checked this plan and all the furniture is 0" floor to bottom. No need to elevate anything.

ct1.thumb.jpg.3543026dbf496fed8a25406982062de4.jpg

I'm a little bit unclear on your problem...

If the problem is that when you try to place one library object on top of another, the program always wants to select the first one instead of placing the new one, then you should try placing the object to the side and then move it on top of the first one.  Sometimes holding down the control key helps with this because it disables the bumping/pushing and allows you to move the object freely.

If the problem is that the objects won't display in the correct order in your plan view, you can control this with the Draw Order Edit Tools.  Basically, you can move any object into any drawing group so that it draws in front or behind other objects.  You can also move objects around within their group.  More info can be found in the reference manual.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    creativeliving
    Newest Member
    creativeliving

• By wjmdes
      I do a bunch of restaurants and I am doing my first in Chief.  The setup is killing me but the drawings are surely starting to look good and no more 7 page changes to move a few things.

Most items including menu boards and desks, computer, etc are furniture, but I need them to be fixtures so they will show in the fixture schedule.  Before I recreate all these symbols and make them a fixture, is there a setting I am missing that will just change a symbol to a different category?
    • By usingchief
      I'm still a novice with CA but getting better at it thanks to this group.  I design a fair amount of custom furniture, primarily conference tables, consoles, benches, sofa and cocktail tables, etc.  What I'd like to figure out is if there is a way to model case goods + cabinets, etc without having a room around it.  And still to be able to do a 3-D view of it.   Or do I just draw a generic room and within the room interior, then design the piece within the space.  Anyone else use CA for the custom design of tables and cabinets? 
    • By limitless8
      Good Day/Evening all!!

So, I know we all love to use the 3dwarehouse from sketchup and it's great, but sometimes you just can't find what you're looking for, not to mention creating a custom piece of furniture isn't always something you have time for.  

I ran into the following, found a website :

https://3darch.org/3dmodel/contemporary-armchair-01-970 (example model)

https://3darch.org/3dmodel/leather-sofa-cl03-979 (couch i wanted)

I downloaded a couch, imported, well first of all it only had one material, meaning the leather and feet didn't have separate material options, second of all it had like 329,000 faces (I know on the chief website it says the more faces the worse it gets)

My problem is once I imported and assigned a material to it, the couch was so amazing that in plain 3d view it looked like it had gone through ray trace all too well, BUT the system slowed the hell down like no other (I know faces).

So I guess have a few questions,

1) Can I somehow modify these objects to have less faces and so they don't slow down the program to the point of URGHHH GRR?
      2) If I can't, does anybody else know of any other great websites that have good furniture databases that are easy to import and good in detail?

The brown couch comes out looking almost the same in 3d view. (couch is 48mb in size)

Thanks for any and all help ahead of time!

Carlton.obj

• By jcaffee
      Attached is a furniture symbol for a Mitchell Gold & Bob Williams Allure Media Console.  Constructed using CAX8 Base Cabinets w/custom pulls and legs.  This is just the symbol, no separate pulls or legs.

http://www.mgbwhome.com/ALLURE-MEDIA-CONSOLEBRavailable-online-and-in-stores-P11799.aspx

jon

MGBW Allure.calibz
    • By jcaffee
      The attached plan contains my interpretation (but dimensionally correct) of Kindel's Constant Credenza (Symbol), The base cabinet used to create the symbol, and a custom cabinet pull.

http://kindelfurniture.com/item?id=371

jon

Kindel Constant Credenza.plan