Hi Everyone!

Is there a way to create a circular or curved roof opening? 

As far as I can tell, it is only possible to create roof openings that straight or angular (triangle, square etc.). I am trying to create a glass geodesic dome on top of a roof. 

Thank you for the help!

Peace, 

Jon

Create a circle, convert that circle to a polyline, and then either convert that polyline to a hole or use boolean operations (polyline subtraction) to cut the hole.

You can also simply draw a square hole and then fillet the corners to make a circle. 

I'm away from my computer and I'm just rattling off some ideas from memory so there may be other ways but those are a couple that come to mind.

Here's an example of Polyline Subtraction I was

playing with a while back.

Polyline subtraction .jpg

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    JBannan
    Newest Member
    JBannan

• By blueriver
      I'm using Chief Architect Premier X11

I have all these little 'X's can someone please tell me how to get rid of them?  I've been really playing around with the roof and i THINK they are from that but at the same time i have a couple random ones outside where the roof is -- i cannot get them to go away. Help!

thanks in advance
      Lauren

• By chief69
      Hello, We are having a hard time getting  the design program to do the roof right. We have tried with Sketchup and it got the closest. It's hard to describe I have attached a few pics with a decent idea of what we are trying to do.

The Garage is a shed roof as well as the breeze way, but they are at different angles. The house is a butterfly style with the V running at a angle. WE do not care what the pitch ends up being on any of the roofs.

Anyone know how to do this. I have been trying for hours and the program goes crazy every time. Esp with the all 3 roofs at different angles with each other. I have attached a copy of the plan we made and some pics from sketchup because that program got the closest to what we are trying to do.

Thanks

Chris
      New house v1.plan

• By MN_JohnH
      I wonder why my second floor loft flooring is sticking through the roof and can be seen on the outside of the building?

• By mprovost129
      Hi all. I'm fairly new to the software and have only been using it since October. I have a client who wants a wood framed chimney extruding from the middle of the roof up from the gas fireplace. I've tried a bunch of different options to make this work but can't figure it out. Can someone please tell me how to draw walls on top of the roof?

Thank you!

• By KrenzyRyan
      Hey All!

Looks like a great community, pretty new to Sketchup - went through my first permit process, design, and construction with our garage (large building on the left).

We are now attempting to add a large area on the back (the white section).  I could use help and suggestions for how to roof over this area.  We would love to have 10' ceilings like our new garage. Here are my goals:
      Raise the middle section of the house to 10' ceilings (like the garage) - indicated by the blue arrow. Cover the new section, also with 10' ceilings - somehow keeping a similar pitch, etc. Keep the the remaining part of the house intact, unchanged (the left area in RoofPicHelp1.jpg).  
      Thanks for any suggestions you might have!

RedfieldMAIN - Redfield Today - Roof help.plan