Changing siding exposure with Rainbow Tool

tds_cc

A friend of mine taught me how to use the Rainbow Tool to adjust siding exposure on a siding texture. I tried it again just now and it's not working. I used the rainbow tool to click on the material and changed the height to 3.5" under specifications, but it doesn't change the texture on my model. What am I missing?

Because there could be other reasons why it's not working, and we'll just mostly be guessing.

But I'm going to try and guess here for you...try clicking on the rainbow tool, and then click on the siding.  Now in the dialog box that pops up click on the heading "Texture" on the left side.

Under that setting, you can change the X or Y scaling to match what your pattern height is.

If you're good at math, you'll be able to figure out how what you need to change it to exactly.

Here's what Jonathan is telling you - just make sure the texture scale matches what you are trying to do.  I my example I am using fiber cement siding with a 7" course exposure height (I could have listed it correctly as 8.25" with a 1.25" overlap but I am not doing a materials list or getting too picky about that so I kept it simple):

Siding,DefineMtl,Gen.JPG

Siding,DefineMtl,Texture.JPG

If you want to really get your elevation views showing your siding to look correct (a full height piece starting at the bottom) you may have to mess with the vertical offset until it is OK.  I haven't done that in awhile although I have done so in the past.

2 hours ago, solver said:

Having your plan makes it easy to see exactly what you see, and possibly provide a solution. It also keeps someone from having to create a test plan.

solver - very good explanation. thanks for being kind about it. just so i'm clear - by posting a plan, you mean I am actually uploading my CA file, correct?