Elevation Details - Best Method?

SNestor

I'm just wondering if how I'm going about something is really the fastest and simplest method.  

See attached elevation.  All the arches and brick details I created in a CAD DETAIL FROM VIEW.  I created polylines in the detail view, copied to my elevation view, then converted to either a material region or a P-Solid.  Colored them as needed to look like brick or mortar.  Even the step flashing shown is made from P-Solids.  

It's all a bit time consuming...just wondering if there isn't a faster/better method?

Thanks!

5915bdb608f46_FrontElevationDetail1.thumb.png.1f628c9d1ba54a549b61c18ef17c730d.png

Someone will be along shortly telling you to use moulding lines etc.  Your method is fine.  Psolids are rock solid.  They don't have a mind of their own.  They will not hop around on you for no apparent reason.  The down side is, a change in the plan means moving all your various parts manually.  btw, nice looking design.

4 hours ago, solver said:

Nicely detailed Steve. No suggestions on you question, but a couple of things stand out.

The brick in the highest gable is a bit off center, and why is that same detail not carried into the garage gables?

The black flashing really stands out. Is that its true color?

And, I might change the offset of the brick texture so you get a full brick at the foundation.

Eric,

Thanks for the info...and the compliments.  The elevation isn't quite done...that's why the garage gable elevation isn't the same.   

Speaking of the gable end brick detail...the pitched brick solider is a molding I made - attached to a 3D molding polyline.  It was difficult to get the brick to butt close to the frieze but not over the top of it...and still keep the overall detail aligned with the ridge.  Do you have any tips to make this process a bit easier?  

Could this same detail be made using a material region?

Maybe I should have drawn lines in a CAD DETAIL view....then copied and pasted to elevation view...then converted to a 3D molding polyline?  

The flashing is just a 1/8" thick P-Solid...painted black.  It might end being a "bronze"...or gray.  I just chose black.  The one problem with the flashing is that in vector view...it's hollow.  No fill.  Which...isn't good.   Looks good in standard view....but, I will have to hatch or something in vector.   

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

So...I gather using P-Solids and the like for all the details is the best/simplest way to go. It's time consuming...and, if the plan changes it's a lot of re-work.  So...in the future I think I will wait until the plan is 100% approved before applying this level of detail. 

Thanks!