Wall Sections and Details

Meltdown0

How do you create a wall section tag that will display the detail number and sheet number of a cad detail from a layout page? 

I know if you create cross section/elevation view on a plan you get a 2D section of the 3D model and if you put that view in a layout the section callout on the plan will automatically update with the detail number and the sheet number, but how do/can you do this with a generic detail on a layout? 

I have a hard time believing that this can only be done manually.

And yes, I a newbie...

Section1.jpg

Thanks for the info.

Coming from an office that used Revit, I am amazed at some of the holes in CA. But I also love a lot of the built in functionality not available in Revit (e.g. cabinets, better roofs , framing...) Guess I'll eventually figure it all out.

39 minutes ago, Meltdown0 said:

Thanks for the info.

Coming from an office that used Revit, I am amazed at some of the holes in CA. But I also love a lot of the built in functionality not available in Revit (e.g. cabinets, better roofs , framing...) Guess I'll eventually figure it all out.

You'll have a love-hate-love relationship which will leave you loving Chief just enough to hang around but feeling frustrated by the lack of intuitively obvious features.

• Upvote 3

The answer is found in your original question.

I know if you create cross section/elevation view on a plan you get a 2D section of the 3D model and if you put that view in a layout the section callout on the plan will automatically update with the detail number and the sheet number

The way we work details is as follows: (It's a bit of work but does the trick).

Create a back clipped section on a blank area of the plans (layer it so it is easy to turn on/off from your plan) paste your cad detail there, send that view to your detail page, Ha! Now move the call out to the desired position on the plan.

(you may have to rename the original section(s) as chief wants to do the naming in order. (Note that the name and the callout label are two different things) if you have info on both, it will show on the callout.

If your detail and the camera overlap, move the detail away, resize the view on layout.