Wall Types - Definitions

jorgearaya

Using X8 I created several wall types, some from scratch, some from copying an existing wall.

I noticed the "Label" transferred from the "copied" wall to the new wall, however I missed how to "change" the label of the "copied" wall. (It is showing the original label)

Say I created a 2x6 Ext Stucco wall, I labeled it STU6R19, copied that one and created a 2x4 version of it. (There was no option to re-label the wall) Note that I can re-label the wall once placed on the drawing, and re enter the information to create another wall that will show the proper label. (The setting to "re-label" the wall when you are within "Wall Type Definitions" was missing).

Are you talking about the Wall Type name or the actual Label?  Those are 2 entirely different things.  The wall type name is first assigned when you create the wall type.  The label on the other hand is specific to individual walls.  You would need to edit the individual wall label before adding it to your library.  When adding a wall type to the library it will carry any label information with it.  You can also change the labels for your various wall defaults in default settings but as far as I know, there is no other way to change a wall label based on the wall type.  Hopefully that was at least as clear as mud.

• Upvote 1

Labels, I realized that copying a wall type would not work and was hoping to, push the issue that we need to be able to label the walls within wall type definitions dbx.

...and that someone would have another solution. Thanks for the response.

The best way to handle this is to use the Defaults for each Wall class (Exterior, Interior, Foundation, Railing, etc)l.  You can use the %wall_type% macro or a custom user macro.  I use a custom macro that uses the floor_number, wall_id & wall_type. 

Example:  Wall 1.29 [Siding-4]

This also has the benefit of placing those names in the Wall Details section of the Project Browser.

• 2 years later...
On 3/22/2017 at 4:49 PM, jorgearaya said:

I noticed the "Label" transferred from the "copied" wall to the new wall, however I missed how to "change" the label of the "copied" wall. (It is showing the original label)

Say I created a 2x6 Ext Stucco wall, I labeled it STU6R19, copied that one and created a 2x4 version of it. (There was no option to re-label the wall) Note that I can re-label the wall once placed on the drawing, and re enter the information to create another wall that will show the proper label. (The setting to "re-label" the wall when you are within "Wall Type Definitions" was missing).

Since a lot new macros have been added to the program, adding the %wall_type% macro, allows the wall types to be copied and after renaming the label appears correctly.

This is considerably faster when creating company standards, if you work for several of them.