Adding Additional Insulation Layer(S) To Roof Assembly

Boxon1

I am trying to modify roof layers, by adding additional insulation layers (see detail in attached image). 

What I had in mind was to make roof type, like in BUILD - WALL- Define wall types, but it looks like there is no such option for roofs.

So, what I need to do is to add 3 layers of polyiso, in total thickness od 5",  one layer of 1/2" plywood and another layer of roof membrane ABOVE rafters. 

I lost like day and a half trying to find an answer to this, but no luck so far.

Anybody any ideas?

Boxon:

You could go to the Options > Roof Layers and increase the thickness of the sheathing layer e.g. and then just detail that properly in your CAD details (sections) with PL's with fill.  Another thing you could try, and I have never done this, is to make a copy of your roof and then edit it such that only one layer for insulation is left.  Move it back over your roof and make sure the elevation of this extra roof is set right.  This might be a bad idea but I thought I would throw it out anyway.  Maybe someone else will come up with a much better/easier approach to this.  It would really be nice if we could layer roofs like we do walls.  You should stick that in the Suggestion forum.

Boxon:

I did a search for "multiple roof layers" and one of the threads was a totally different subject ("roof battens") but maybe it will give you some ideas:

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/207-roof-and-ceiling-battens-please/page-2?hl=%20multiple%20%20roof%20%20layers

You want to mostly read the posts by Glenn but actually it is worth reading all the posts so you know what other ideas were kicked around.

Or you can wait for Mr. Glenn or one of our other Chief Experts to give you a good suggestion on what you can try.  Good luck.

Thank you CJS, I will hit the Suggestion forum, but I am not sure that this client will be willing to wait for x7 :) ...

In meantime, I hope that somebody will come to something. Problem is that use of materials is really inaccurate this way.