mikes616

Dug Out Basement

I'm trying to figure out the best way to show a dig out or dug out basement.  The original house was on a crawl space and then a basement was created, leaving the original foundation walls, creating "shelves" which transition from the old to new basement depth.  I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about.  I just don't know the best way to show it.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Mark

Mark,

Here is a sample to look at, made the heights in a cross section camera view using a dimensioned horizontal CAD line. Then a room molding polyline for the cap to the lower wall.

hth,

Michael

stepped-fdn-wall.plan

Michael,

Thanks for the info.  So did you first make the outer foundation walls and then add the interior ones  and then adjusted the heights?

Mark 

Here is one way that places the crawl space on level 1 and the new basement on level 0.

steppedbasement.PNG

sample.plan

11 minutes ago, mikes616 said:

Michael,

Thanks for the info.  So did you first make the outer foundation walls and then add the interior ones  and then adjusted the heights?

Mark 

Yes Mark and I set the original outside stem wall height in the room dbx.

Michael,

Thanks for the info.  I'll give that a try.  Robert...I hesitate to make the foundation on level 1.  Then when I do the real level 1 ( the first floor), things could get weird.

2 hours ago, mikes616 said:

Michael,

Thanks for the info.  I'll give that a try.  Robert...I hesitate to make the foundation on level 1.  Then when I do the real level 1 ( the first floor), things could get weird.

Levels are just levels - nothing magic about them. Lots of folks on this forum place their walk-out basements on Level 1 and reserve Level 0 for the frost-walls and footings. There's no reason for anything to get weird.