Sign in to follow this  
CBuserIndia

Exporting CA Project

I want to design room in Chief Architect (Interior) & then export/give project to someone who uses Sketchup. The Sketchup guy wants to generate 2D Floorplan, 2D Elevations, 2D Ceiling. Sketchup guy has to generate all 2D drawings & create PDF file. I do not care about texture/colours in this case, however I do need measurements

Which file format should I export inside CA ?
Will this be single file, I export in CA & give it to Sketchup ?
Are there any other free softwares where CA project can be imported & all 2Ds could be viewed ?

the HD products are very limited in features etc

the Chieftalk forum is primarily for Chief Premier users

you should probably ask your question on the Hometalk forum

look under MENU - FILE - EXPORT for your available export formats

I think you would need to use .DXF format

Lew

Export using DAE.  Strip a copy of your model of all furniture, fixtures, materials, etc., etc. before exporting.  You export from a 3D Perspective Full Overview camera.  SketchUp handles DAE (Collada) flawlessly, so your guy should have few issues.

• Upvote 1

Jon:

I doubt HD products can export DAE files ...

If a Chief Premier user volunteered to do the export  for them

that would probably work

Lew

• Downvote 1

Jon:

you are correct - my bad

I read too quick and assumed HD Interiors

which cost $79 ....

Lew

Export using DAE.  Strip a copy of your model of all furniture, fixtures, materials, etc., etc. before exporting.  You export from a 3D Perspective Full Overview camera.  SketchUp handles DAE (Collada) flawlessly, so your guy should have few issues.

Hello Jon, what do you mean when you say "Strip a copy of your model of all furniture, fixtures, materials". Please explain.

Thanks for help

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    greglocke
    Newest Member
    greglocke

• By YoderW
      Hey all,

Is there a way to control what Chief names each material as it's importing a model as a collada (.dae) file?

At my company, we use Chief to build the base model and then export as a collada file to import into Lumion to render. Lumion's latest version has the ability to automatically replace materials with "glass" or "water" in the name with those kinds of materials when importing, but for some reason Chief will randomly assign names to materials during the collada export process like "mat127-material," regardless of what they are named in the material settings. Other export processes will keep the material names, but those have their own problems in Lumion. The 3DS format, for example, is the best alternative, but it changes the scale of the model. 

I can't seem to find anywhere in the preferences to mess with export settings, though. It's nothing that totally breaks our workflow, as it only takes a couple seconds to replace the material, but it would be a nice little quality-of-life feature we could take advantage of if we could get Chief to cooperate. 
    • By OnlineBuilder
      Im exporting my CA models to DAE, then converting them on Autodesk FBX converter on a Windows laptop. For some reason, the odd plan does not convert saying "not enough parameters". Its a pain because I can't start them again. 

I did some Googling and one solution was to convert the CA file to an obj, which you can't (Strange). 

Does anyone know why it is doing this? Is there another converter that works? 
    • By Ange822
      Hi there,

I am new to this ChiefTalk / Forum but i need help.

I am trying to Import a 3D Sketch-up object from the 3D warehouse into chief. It is a Teknion office product.
      When i go to File - Import - Import 3D symbol - attach the document, i get the attached pop - up.

Any idea's what the issue could be? 

I am using X9.

thanks,
      Angela

• By cascadepixels
      How can I get a high resolution bitmap image of a plan? Preferably PNG? 

I have tried clicking the little arrow at the top and selecting Save Image, but this produces what looks to be a very low quality screenshot, which is useless for my purposes as it does not even include the whole plan, or if I reduce the plan size to fit then labels are illegible.

• By DaveCoyleJr
      I was wondering if it was possible to somehow import an entire SketchUp full home model into chief and then break it down into a floor plan? I know that I can take plans and pdf trace them, however, I have a full model already done, I'd like to just use as my base. Is this even possible? I have the SketchUp DWG file as well if that helps.