Import DWG File But No Elev Data

Anna_Gorres

You all have saved me in the past, hoping you can save me now.

I've watched various videos on how to import an DWG file and the elevation data. I've tried this multiple times, and zero elevation data/points are coming through - all I get is a flat terrain. I've even used the advanced mapping layers option - nothing seems to work. I called the surveyor to make sure this was a 'live' file and not just text and lines. He has a very heavy accent and I have a hard time communicating with him. He did say everything should be in the file and I'd have to "import the DWG file".

Attached is my plan file and the DWG file. I tried to upload the DWG file, but I get a message that I am unauthorized to upload this type of file. I'd be happy to email to anyone who is willing to help me out!

Any help is much appreciated,

Anna 

DWG_Elevation_Failure.plan

Certificate-for-arch.zip

I never directly import and convert such files as they tend to make an unnecessarily complicated Terrain Plane that most personal computers cannot display in 3D due to the unnecessary high count of 3D faces.

What I do is to import the file and just just it to trace over with a reduced number of elevation objects, using only as many as I need to get a useful topo modulation. You import the dwg or dxf file, make sure it is scaled properly (to 1' = 1' which is the native scale within Chief) and then do the tracing setting the height value per terrain object from data shown in the topo file import.

DJP

David,

Any chance you'd be willing to look at my DWG file. I've asked them to explode the CAD blocks, as from what I've researched I believe the only way  to get the elevation information is with a DWG file that is not grouped together at all. The file they sent has many CAD block groups - and when I explode myself there is no elevation data. When I convert to elevation data - there is still none. I assume this is because I am starting with a file that uses CAD blocks.

I've tried explainng this to the surveyor, but there is a language barrier. I've emailed twice (2nd just this morning),but they do not seem the best at responding. I'd like to make sure I am understanding all of this correctly, so that I do not waste their time. They must be quite busy.

Anna 

Robert,

Thank you for the offer. The surveyor did get back to me, stating she could not explode the file or it would not hold any elevation data. She sent me a text file. I cannot seem to find any good info on how to import a text file. When I go to File>Import Elevation Data(.txt) and start the wizard, I get an error message (line 12) after the first step of selecting the file.

Anyone have a good resource for importing elevation data as a .txt file? 

I'm obviously very green as this surveyor/elevation data stuff. Any good general training this?

Thanks,

Anna 

Anna,

The file was created in Autodesk Civil 3D. Exporting to dwg from Civil 3D produces "proxy graphics" - entities that can be viewed in 2D accurately, but have lost their "intelligence". Exploding the proxy graphics results in a whole bunch of tiny lines; this preserves their 3D data, but it's unusable (for Chief's purposes) because most of the lines have start and end points with different z-values, thus they can't be "stitched" together in Chief (even in AutoCAD it's a laborious process). The surveyor is correct - all the data is there - it's just of little use unless viewed in Civil3D.

Try importing the attached file. I exploded, flattened, and stitched together the contour lines. When you go through the import dialog box, note that I turned off all the layers except for the contour layers - just to make them easier to find and to select for conversion to Elevation Data. You'll need to use the check boxes next to any other layers you want to import. Also be aware that because lots of the contours aren't contiguous, you may get poor results in the Chief terrain perimeter. I expect it will need a lot of cleanup. It may actually have been faster to simply trace over what was already imported.

Certificate-for-arch working contours.zip

The surveyor should be able to export a graphic .dwg file that can be opened in regular AutoCAD, that is the kind of file I referred to  in my earlier post. You do not need a text file or other specialized file other than a plain graphic, 2D .dwg file. That is the type of file I prefer as the other file types either produce too complicated a 3D object in Chief that most PC's cannot easily show per second in a camera view.

DJP