Sign in to follow this  
capitaldesigns

Wall Hatching

I'm new to chief. I'm using X-8.

When I draw my new walls, I use a solid hatch pattern that defines the wall as new. On existing walls I do not add any hatch pattern.

When I switch from the default layer set to the framing layer set the hatch pattern does not show. How do I have the hatch pattern

show in the framing layer set?

Thanks,

Mike

Make sure the Walls, Hatching layer is turned on in the Framing Layer Set

There is a layer called Walls Hatching, but is shown to not being used. By doing some hunting and pecking I found that the layer name being used for the wall hatching is call 

walls, layers. Wall hatching or Walls Poche makes more since to me. I would have thought that the Walls, Layers would have been for the 2 parallel lines defining the walls.

Can we change the name of some of these layer names that the components of the walls are drawn on that make more sense? For example. "Walls" for the 2 parallel lines representing

the main layer of the wall. "Wall, Poche" or "Wall, Hatching" for the hatching pattern of the wall. "Wall, Siding" or "Wall, Stucco" for the exterior wall finish. "Wall, Drywall" for the interior

wall finish. This would make more sense to me and would be more clear to what I am turning on or off. 

When I look at the wall type specification I do not see any of the wall component layer names.  

Thanks,

Mike

Okay,  I thought we were talking about 2 different things.  Under Build>Wall there is a tool called Hatch Wall which is what I thought you were talking about.  What it sounds like you did was assign a FILL with a hatched pattern to your wall's MAIN LAYER (through the Wall Type Definitions dbx).

FWIW, the 3 main layers involved are...

Walls, Normal - This is the layer that your walls are put onto by default.  If the layer is turned off, your walls will not display at all.  If ONLY this layer (of the 3) is turned on, it will essentially draw 2 lines, the interior and exterior surface of the full thickness of your wall.

Walls, Layers - This is the layer that will essentially draw your additional wall layers (drywall, sheathing, siding, etc.).

Walls, Main Layer Only - If this layer is turned on, it will draw only the main layer of your wall.  If you select the wall, you will see the entire thickness highlighted, but only the main layer will draw.