Issue with Suppressing Casing and sheetrock wrapping "nub" walls

HDsquared

Go to solution Solved by Alaskan_Son,

Hi everyone - 

It's been a while... I'm hoping one of you awesome Chief gurus can help me out. I fought the upgrade to X7 but finally bit the bullet for my latest project. I'm working on modeling the AS-BUILT and everything's been going along well until I tried to suppress the casing on a couple of arched interior doorways. I can see the stud material peeking through instead of nice clean sheetrock. Also, when I created a nub wall, the end showed the Doug Fir stud material - the sheetrock simply wouldn't wrap the exposed end. I haven't come up against this before and can't seem to figure out how to fix it. There are no invisible walls creating odd intersections. For the doorways I tried setting the casing to zero. This created a smoother look but then the molding doesn't wrap around the doorway opening. I know I can create a molding polyline to fix this but it really shouldn't be this hard!

I searched the forum and can't any other threads indicating this issue. Am I the only one? :( 

Any help is much appreciated.

Suzy

• Solution

I think its your wall definition.  You've added a layer (presumably a paint color) with a zero thickness on each side of the wall.  That zero thickness layer is what's wrapping the end of the wall.  Delete that layer or increase the thickness and the framing covers.

Oh my gosh. Thank you so much. That was exactly what it was. It's funny, I've never done that before but with the new interface I thought what the heck - I'm tired of having materials called "dry wall-painted whipped cream", etc. Thank you again for figuring it out for me! Much appreciated.

• 1 year later...
On 11/15/2015 at 0:47 AM, Alaskan_Son said:

I think its your wall definition.  You've added a layer (presumably a paint color) with a zero thickness on each side of the wall.  That zero thickness layer is what's wrapping the end of the wall.  Delete that layer or increase the thickness and the framing covers.

Could you please elaborate on "increase the thickness and the framing covers" ?

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    FireflyHomes
    Newest Member
    FireflyHomes

• By Nate_M
      Hello,

I am working on an as built for a 1800's house. The door and window trim is 5 3/4" wide. My problem is that there a few instances where the door or window trim has been cut down to fit up against another wall. For example there's a window in one of the corners that is nearly up against the perpendicular wall. The trim on the left side of the window is 5 3/4" but the trim on the right side is around 3". 

Is there a way to place the window further into the corner and cut off the trim? Can I make the trim on only side of the window a smaller width? This is a pretty common occurrence in our work and I would like to have a method of solving this issue.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
    • By SNestor
      What causes Chief to reduce the width of a mulled door unit? 

The images below show the before and after of mulling a door unit. The sidelights are "fixed door" units. Not sure that matters...but as you can see after mulling takes place the casing does not reach the baseboard.

• By Slamnation
      Is it possible to change the Wall Board (Drywall) size from the default size of 4x8 to 4x12 when CA calculates the materials list?
    • By Meltdown00
      When I create a wall niche in X10 and add casing in the specification dialog box, the casing is not set against the wall unless you make the depth of the niche the same depth of the wall.
      Is there a way to change this or is this a bug?
      FYI: pretty new to Chief, started with X9, but don't remember having this problem before...

• By Designers_Edge
      I appreciate any help or input on this problem.  I have been having this issue for the last 3-4 months and have just been working around it.  I only do as-built and remodel plans, so I need to show the casing widths -especially for kitchen remodels. In a PLAN---For example:  3 1/4" casings when dimensioned, whether with automatic interior dimensions or manual dimensions show up as 3 1/2".  

I have contacted Chief support and sent them a different plan file.  They told me to change the "Rounding Method" in the Dimension Defaults setup.  I have selected both "Grid Rounding" and "Distance Rounding" and it does not make a difference.  I have also tried:  locating first the sides and then changed it to rough opening to see if I could work around this glitch.  NO luck.

I have Chief X9 Interiors and have used Chief since 8.0 and have never had this problem previously.  I even opened one of the Chief Architect templates and drew a simple box with one interior wall and inserted a door, then dimensioned---same issue.  

Here are my default settings