I am trying to create a home with a full basement under one section of the home and the others are slabs on a 5' frost wall (here in VT we need this). I am having problems getting the floor levels to all align. When I change the setting for the structure in the M.Bdrm (in Room Spec) and hit OK, the changes are not incorporated and switch back to original settings. How do I get all of the floors to align?post-3961-0-95902300-1447437617_thumb.jpgpost-3961-0-23278700-1447437749_thumb.pngpost-3961-0-49784900-1447437788_thumb.png

Steve

Thanks David, that was a great video. CA has nothing like it or if it does it is so hard to find specific videos for what I am looking for.

Steve

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    THDesign
    Newest Member
    THDesign

• By DRyeHD
      I've looked for a thread on this topic but cannot find one.  Typical construction is CMU stem wall on footing and slab.

I would like to show outside edge of foundation block and all thickened slab areas (for bearing walls and posts).  I see the foundation block on floor "0" and the thickened slab (under bearing walls) and post footings on floor "1".  I would like to display all this on one layout and add dimensions for concrete, plumbing, and other under-slab work.

What is the best way to do this without redrawing a separate plan to accommodate these items?
    • By CRHDesign
      Is there a room dialog to prevent this from happening? Ideally I want to make the cantilever a "cantilever" room and have it not generate walls under the cantilever with auto rebuild foundation walls on. Unless there is an easier way? Copying the balcony room settings ends up generating walls like the attached picture, still generating walls under cantilever. Feel like I'm missing something very simple.
    • By Designer100
      I cannot get the floor joists to  build.It originally a regular slab home.  but now it is pier and  beam with concrete  block around preiemerter at 8' o.c. or wha ever engineer specs out.  I cannot the the floor joist to build on first floor, cannot garage to show 4" drop with preimerter  walls and regular lab,garage left wall to close in. Rear deck will not show up in rendering either.
      FFE 61.00, top of cmu  blocks 60.00, existing grade 57.30', top of grade beam 57.33. garagefloor 52.33 8 cmu blocks abovegarage slab.perfer 12" all around outside of garage foundation. 

I would appreciate getting the first floor joists to be installed. and the other issues.
      Plan 5661LAF.GARAGE.PIER&BM.zip

• By JimAlsup
      Hello All,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do the foundation for an addition to our 1955 home.  The existing home crawl space is minimal.  Perimeter stem wall is 18 inches with 4/6 girders resting on the sill and footings/posts at 4' O.C. .  Flooring is 2x6 T&G floor boards resting on the girders.  Not sure if that meets modern code. 

For the new foundation area I was thinking of using 2x8 joists for the floor framing and matching the existing stem wall.  I cannot use wider joist without raising the floor as I cannot lower the stem wall height due to code requiring 8" min stem top to group level.  The addition needs to span distances beyond the 12' span distance so I need to support them in some way.  Girders with posts seems reasonable, but I'm concerned about the crawl space height.   2x8 joists on 18" 16" O.C is tighter than the existing foundation which has 18+5.5 and widely spaced girders dropping it to 18".  The new foundation with 4x8 joists at 16" on center and girders would drop the bottom the height to 12" under the beams which seems very tight.  I think the code allows for 12", but is it bad practice?  Am I wasting my time worrying about this? 

I have a few ideas on increasing the clearance, but I don't know which would work best and what the cost trade offs are?

1. Move the 4x6 girder to foundation stem wall height and then attach joists with joist hangers rather than resting on top.
      2. Build internal foundation footing/stem walls as needed to close 2x8 spans to 12' or less (leave access openings)
      3. If legal, copy the existing floor structure.  I'm guessing the 4/6 girders and T&G flooring is likely more costly.
      4. Extend the addition's stem wall and interior ground level down 6 inches.  Slope the soil away from the existing foundation 2" a foot. Excavation and concrete costs go up.

Thoughts?

Thank you,,
      Jim

• By srjbb97
      Hello,

I believe I have had help previously on this issue, but I have tried what I previously tried to try and fix this issue. Can anyone help?

Thank you,
      Shonna