Auto Dimension Wall Location ?

ACADuser

I have a house with block wall on first floor & frame wall on 2nd floor.

I want to dimension to the exterior block surface on the first floor which works.

But on the second floor I want to dimension to the plywood exterior & not the stucco skin of the frame wall.

In my design the exterior of the block wall & the exterior skin of the frame wall are the same so the stucco is flush.

I do not want to dimension to the surface as that may change to 1/2" siding on the 2nd floor.

Ok, I answered my own question.

Moving the sheeting down into the main Layer group & dimension to the Wall Dimension layer solved the problem.

All i had to do is Align all exterior wall with Wall Below to finish the process.

One question remains.

Do i need to go to my template file and change all exterior frame wall definitions so the sheeting is in the Main Layer Group.

The walls in the Main catalog can not be changed, correct?

post-2435-0-39463000-1429705935_thumb.png

Alan, 

Do i need to go to my template file and change all exterior frame wall definitions so the sheeting is in the Main Layer Group.

Probably yes.

The walls in the Main catalog can not be changed, correct?

What do you mean by the main catalog?

Wall definitions in the library can be edited by opening the library and right clicking on the wall definition. 

Select Open Object and then edit the wall definition.

I mean the Core Catalog.

So when you open up a New Drawing there is a template assigned to CA & the default walls are defined in that assigned template file.

All walls available at the start up come from the default template? and not the Core Catalog?

Alan,

Wall definitions are stored in the plan.

This includes the default template plan - which is really just another plan that loads on startup.

Individual plan files can contain there own wall definitions including the ones that loaded with the plan and any that have been created or amended in the plan.

You can also store wall definitions in the library that are then available in all plans once the library is open.

You can amend wall definitions stored in the library as I indicated above.

The beauty of storing wall definitions in the library is that if you add or amend wall definitions to the library, they are available to all plans which means you don't have to store them in your template plan.

You can't store wall definitions in the Core Catalog.

You need to store them in the User Catalog.