Import Multiple Images Scaled "stretch To Fit"

MickeyToo

I want to import a large quantity of images of paintings and area rugs of various sizes and shapes. When I use Convert Textures to Materials they come in with the Texture set to Tile to Scale rather than Stretch to Fit, as would be needed to make them usable. How can I get them to import correctly, or is there a way to batch process these material files afterward?

Thanks

Did you try and create a Material folder in User Catalog... After you create a folder right click on it and select New and click select Material, go to Textures and find your picture open it and set all your parameters, i.e stretch to fit, width and height, etc Name it, and you all set.

Don't think there is a batch way to have them all come in Stretch to Fit, but you can change them all to Stretch to Fit manually after they are imported with the Convert Textures to Materials tool.  If it were me, I would just import them all and just convert to Stretch to Fit as you use them.

Problem with doing them manually is that there are over a thousand images (several thousand, actually).

I read in the reference manual that "By default, materials created from a screen capture will be set to Stretch to Fit," so if images from a screen capture why not images coming in from an external folder? I just can't locate any documentation on how it might be done.

Just practically speaking, how many of these several thousand images do you actually plan on using in the foreseeable future?  And, if you want to use them as rug and painting symbols in Chief, you are still going to have to apply them to a symbol.  Just the time it takes to do that, which has to be done manually, would pale in comparison to just checking Stretch to Fit when you actually go to use each one to apply to a symbol.

You might send the question in to tech support.

Thanks, Bryce. You are more than right about the likelihood of using even a fraction of these images (ditto the content in the huge number of catalogs we now see).

These images were made available many years ago by an extremely generous Chief user when there was not the wide variety and number of catalogs we see today. Without exception, everyone at the time was grateful to have them. I simply never got around to loading/using them, or sorting through them, even.

That aside, there really should be a way to bring them in already checked "Stretch to Fit" and, yes, I will email TS on Monday with this very question.

As you also point out, to apply these images will, in itself, be a bit of work, given the many shapes and sizes we are dealing with. As such, I was going to post to see if anyone had any ideas about how to make this process a little easier to accomplish.