Baseline Elevation Location

Canuck

Go to solution Solved by Dennis_Gavin,

For the most part I think I understand the roof systems in CA but one thing I can't confirm is the "baseline" location in elevation. My understanding was that if you are building a roof manually, your baseline elevation would be the outer edge of the top plate. So if your wall was a standard 9ft height, the baseline would be at the 9'-0 3/4" height (Canadian stud wall height). But last night I was chatting with an architect buddy of mine who worked in CA up till a few years ago. He told me that the baseline was the top of the truss along the outer edge of the top plate. So if you wanted a 9" heel to ensure you got the R-60 insulation in the attic you needed to add to ensure you had a baseline of 9'-9 3/4" baseline....I'm thinking not, that the baseline would remain at 9'-0 3/4" with a heel height not part of the number....So who's correct here?

And yes, I am slight embarrassed to have to ask this question... :unsure:

Richard

I do Canadian stud wall height at 9'-1 1/8" just as the standard templates are set. All of my training and design work was in B.C. Up until 11 years ago and this is the dimension always used. Do they do things different on the Island?

I have also found you have to raise the baseline to match your extended heel height for either insulation value or window/soffit clearance.

Yes would be the short answer Sherry. I do a lot of work for a company that does factory built wall panels. Their wall systems are at 96 3/4", 108 3/4" and 120" (Tall Walls are always custom of course). And since the same company owns a bunch of sawmills that provide lumber to the major markets ( Home Depot, Rona, Home Hardware), I ended up giving in and just setting up my template at those heights. The factory is laser measured & cut so we know the walls are going to be exact, so my dimensions must also be. The other contractors I draw for are supply me with no more than 3 to 5 projects a year each. None of them are too concerned about what I put on the sheets as they adjust on site if they have to. The variations in mill cut lengths is well known here so builders are ready. We adjust for the differences by making sure stair runs are never so constricted that they can't adjust if they have to. The there is the environmental factor ( we live in a rain forest) that makes building fun. No builder in his right mind counts on vertical elevations to be as they are on the plan. They just adjust as they build.

Where in Saskatchewan are you located?

I do remember the wettttt wood from my 13 years in Salmon Arm area and before that the Lower Mainland.

Our biggest issues here are frost protection, insulation and high water tables.

I did some modular walls many moons ago and they were also a different height because of trimming for exact dimensions.

I am now located just outside Saskatoon and have clients throughout the province.

I have a daughter in Neudorf. She's gone through 3 winters there...and is still there. I honestly didn't think she'd make it since she was raised in Baden, Germany and Comox, BC where the winters just don't exist. But she loves it in Saskatchewan nonetheless. Says she likes the small town feel...Doesn't get any smaller than where she is! Heck, they paid cash for their two bedroom house. Not sure you could do that now with the oil and potash coming to town, but being 26 and mortgage free, how many people can say that.

Salmon Arm, I'll be there in about three months for a cousin's wedding. My parents had a ranch not far away in Enderby, out on Mable Lake. Spent my youth building houses all over the region as my Dad was a contractor in the summer months. Started out at 9 cleaning up after the carpenters. By 17 I was banging nails like a seasoned pro. Not sure you could get away with that now with the child labour laws. 

I got a call from a guy not long ago wanting plans for a build in Saskatoon, I sent him to Robinson Design. If I had known you were in the region I would have sent him your way.  PM me your contact information and I'll add you to my call list.