Finished Attic -Migration Issue?

lockwood

I am having trouble working with an attic space

The original drawing was created quite a while back with Chief 8.0 and I am now revisiting it in order to design a finished attic space. I was able to migrate the drawing successfully to x7 with only a handful of minor problems, but x7 does not seem to recognize the current attic space. I have tried to generate a third floor but I cannot build within the existing roof area without creating a full hieght third floor and raising the roof. I can manually create walls within the attic space and they will autmatically trim to the height of the roof but, since I am unable to create the floor, I am not able to build recognizable rooms.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! The roof and exterior are complex and I would rather not have to recreate everything.

Chief Premier x7

Windows 7 pro

IntelCore 3.9GHz

64-bit os

You cannot have a room on the attic level.  That is why I advocate more levels than what you actually have.....  just in case you want to put a room on the "attic level". 

If you are having problems adding an additional floor....  get over it,  add the extra floor,  you need it if you want to have a room at that level.

Thank you for your responses

The house has two stories plus an attic and I need to generate a floor platform above the second floor. I am having two problems:

1. When I add a floorl, the roof is raised and the exterior details (which are extensive) become a scrambled mess. I have been able to add "attic" levels in drawings created in x6 without disturbing the roof, but this is an old drawing (CA 8.0).

2. I am still not able to select or open a Room Secification window in the newly generated 3rd level.

There were a couple of roof related issues when I migrated the file to x7.  I had to delete and rebuild a couple of the roof plains since the facia and moldings were detached and appearing a significant distance away from the roof edges. Maybe the roof problems have somthing to do with it?

Bob

post-5063-0-83852100-1426776329_thumb.jpg

post-5063-0-34806800-1426776359_thumb.jpg

Attics cant have rooms in them....it's part of the software programming so you need a 3rd floor and hence

see post #2 

looks like you are adding a standard height (96"?) 3rd floor by the looks, try it with 0" wall height , then you should be able to add rooms, and with auto roof off be able to raise the ceiling back to 96" afterwards. 

M.

or post the plan so Scott or another Guru can help you....