Hi all,

I'm curious to know if any Chief users are also working with rendering programs? (to make their 3d images photorealistic)

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers, Nathan

Thea used to get a lot of "ink" on the forum but not so much now that Chief has improved it's own ray tracing engine.

There are still some who use it and the results are great but there is of course a learning curve and a separate program

to deal with.  No plug ins for Chief.  There is a procedure for exporting for other programs but others who do it will have

to chime in on that.  I have stopped using Thea.

To use any external rendering/ray tracing program, you would need to export your drawing as a 3D Symbol/Model. *.3DS files work well.

Then import the file to the rendering program and setup lights, material definitions, etc.

Then you are ready for rendering.

As Dennis pointed out this involves a learning curve no matter what program you decide to go with and basically re-creating the scene and adjusting the lighting etc.

I still use Thea (when I have free time)...

I haven't learned Chief's rendering software mostly because I haven't LOVED the results produced.  Granted, they look waaaay better then they used to.  I use Chief for drawing houses, and getting decent looking 3D NPR (non-photorealistic) shots.  When I want something photorealistic, I export and use a software that specializes in that.

Typically my workflow is export a .3ds file from Chief.  Import into Sketchup, and make any necessary tweaks to textures, lighting, sun, etc...  Then from there, there's a Thea exporter you can buy, and it converts everything from Sketchup to the proper file for Thea to read.  Once imported into Thea, then I fine tune textures, lighting, sun, etc... and create my final image.

If you want a "free" version of Thea, the same people that made that also started off with a program called Kerkythea.  I used that before Thea came out, and it works very well.  Not as intuitive as Thea, but still a great renderer.

Then there's V-Ray, Mental Ray, Maxwell, some people here use Lumion, on-and-on-and-on...  You just have to do a little research and find out how "in depth" you want to get.

• Upvote 1

To further what Jonathan has said.

There are other similar appoaches that are either available or soon to be available.  My personal favorite rendering engine is Octane Render.  They are currently developing a wide array of plug ins for applications such as SketchUp, as Jonathan uses, and others.

I would throw Lux Render into the mix as Well.  It is open source, and in the right hands can produce some very nice work.  Blender, open source as well, has it's own version of a physically based rendering engine called Cycles and it can also produce some very impressive images.

It does not seem to be about price so much anymore, but about having the time to tackle the learning curve most of these programs will require.  I am hoping to get around to a more thurough evaluation of a few of these applications in the next couple of months.  Some do require special hardware, and each has it's strong and weak points to consider.

Seems to come down to, what are your person goals, and then what software will do the job for you.  For what ever it is worth, to me, I consider the time spent learning and gaining skill with a particular software more important than the cost of the software itself.  That being said, there are some very impressive options available that are free of charge.

Edit:  I am doing some things now with X6's new file export format for 3D models called Collada.  This is a very widely used file format in the graphics industry, but I am finding that there are a few things to consider when using this option.  From what I have seen so far as I have tested, you will probably need to use the 32 bit version of chief.  Then import the model into SketchUP and either use it within SketchUp, or open or import the file into other applications from there.

It appears that Chief's version of a Collada file exporter was mostly intended for the SketchUP market, but that does not stop you from using it where ever you want.  BTW this does not appear to be working with the 2014 version of SketchUP, at least it has not worked for me yet.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ChiefAKBuilder
    Newest Member
    ChiefAKBuilder

• By chrisped
      I have a home design that I am working on in home designer professional 2020.  Would eventually like to get it completed and then a set of construction prints for Nashville, Tennessee.  whidh means I will need floor plans and elevation views as well as a plot plan.  I have the plot drawn with some contour lines in the drawing I have developed.  The house faces about due west (not the best but that is the lot I have.    I have attached a picture of what I want the exterior rendering to look like.  Looking for job bid.  The plan file is zipped and attached.  Following needs to get done and then a front rendering and the file returned with the updates.  (Can pay via paypal etc)  
      1. Master bedroom vaulted ceiling following rafters up to height of 12 feet then flat across.  House rafters will be 2x8 or 2x6 depending on span.  
      2. Fix the roof planes
      3. Shed roof with 2 in 12 slope over the back deck.  Extends out about even with the master.  This is asphalt shingles.  Ceiling will follow the rafters
      4. The peaks (side and front larger dormer) should be board and batten not sided, the rest of the house sided, the foundation walls are stone
      5. Make sure chimney carries through to the roof from fireplace in family room.  Chimney is stone where it can be seen outside of house.
      6. The basement foundation walls connecting to the crawl space (unfinished area) should be only 5' tall (it would just be in one area)
      7. Front porch is to have a metal roof, rest of house is asphalt shingles (charcoal color but not black)
      8. Stairs should be 42" wide and should be fixed . Want them closed underneath. Somehow I cant get this to look right
      9. Need a front rendering showing view of the house for presentation to client
      10. Need file updated to reflect these changes and has to be readable with Home Designer Pro 2020
      11. Floor deck for both the first and second floor are 11-7/8 TJI with 3/4 subfloor (I think I have this right).

At any rate, looking for quote to get this done.  Thanks for looking.
      House Design Front Walkout.zip

• By Texas_Chief_Pros
      Tutoring Services Architectural Drafting and Detailing Reinforced Concrete Drafting and Design Structural Drafting Services Architectural Presentation Drawings Floor Plan Drafting Services Landscape CAD Drawings Services CAD Conversion Services Kitchen and Bath Remodels 3D Design Services Rendering Services Tiny Home Design

• By GCCISarah
      Hi everyone-

In the last several plans I have created in chief X11, using a Camera View with a Reference Display of the As-Built, I have the As-Built Reference Display file set to render as a Glass House view. The Glass House referenced model displays, but without any of the dark outlines to show the features of the model. I have included an image of a remodel I am working on currently, where the referenced As-Built shows as a faint blue shape. Nothing like the examples Chief gives of a reference display, below.
      Any thoughts on what setting I might be able to change to get the 'outlines' back. I have also included an example image from Chief I found online, which has the desired 'outlines' in black.
      This does ONLY happen when I'm using Glass House View as a *Reference Display* in the plan I'm working on. If I were working on a plan and change the rendering technique to Glass House, the outlines are visible. This only happens in Reference Display.

• By GCCISarah
      Hi everyone-

In the last several plans I have created in chief, using the reference display in a 3D view (referencing an as-built plan overlayed onto the remodel plan) with Glass House View, the Glass House View is very transparent, with no 'outlines' around the items in the drawing.
      It makes it quite hard to see what the existing vs. remodel.
      Any thoughts on what setting I might be able to change to get the 'outlines' back. I'll attach a photo of a kitchen I'm working on currently below, showing how faint the Glass House View is, vs. an example photo from Chief I found online, which has the desired 'outlines' in black.
      This does ONLY happen when I'm using Glass House View as a *Reference Display* on the referenced plan. If I were to delete the reference display plan, and just change the rendering technique of the Plan file I'm working on to Glass House, there is no problem. The 'outlines' show as desired. 

• By GCCISarah
      Hi all,
      All mirrors from the catalog(s) that I am placing show a bright yellow cast and pixels on the reflective surface of the mirror itself. The mirror IS reflecting the room around it, but the bright yellow color and pixelation never resolves itself. The first photo is the 'Standard' camera view rendering technique, where the yellow is at its brightest. The second attachment is 'Physically Based' rendering technique, where the yellow is faded a bit.
      I had no problems in X10, but this issue has been in all of my plans so far using X11.  

Any thoughts? The mirror material is set as a 'Mirror', with 100% reflection. I've not changed any defaults, preferences, or qualities about the mirror material or camera views that I could think would affect the reflective quality. Help appreciated.