any tips for curved stair treads

RossFranklin

Go to solution Solved by MPDesign,

I am trying to draw a flight of stairs where treads have a radius edge. All treads in this case have the same arc center only a larger/smaller radius at each rise. 

I have found and tried using the "curved staircase" tools but it doesn't seem intended for such a case, I can't find how to set the radius to a specific value, I can't find where the radius is shown when dragging the handles. One screenshot shows how far I got with that.

Trying a different method, I thought I might make a different deck area for each height. This arguably turned out slightly better, but this is also giving me a hard time. I think I have the "stair run" drawn at the right place in the plan view, but in the rendering it is shown with uneven stair run and I can't figure out why. It also was very painstaking to create, I can't find a way to offset duplicate a deck edge or wall type object, to keep the same origin but a larger radius.

I feel like I have the wrong approach in both cases, but I'm not sure where to go from here.

Screenshot 2024-08-27 at 4.56.08 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-08-27 at 5.33.28 PM.png

Michael's reply beat me to it by a few minutes. 

Make curved landings.

Start with the first curved tread. It appears to be about 14"

Copy & replicate (2) treads (landing). 

In the x direction - move forward approx. 12" (this ensures that the riser overlaps the landing. 

In the y direction - go up 7" or whatever riser height is required.  

A general observation... the exterior space appears to be too shallow. (The IRC code excerpt is below)

Even when an exterior door swings inward, the outdoor walk-space has to be a minimum of three feet to avoid a trip and fall. 

There shall be a landing or floor on each side of each exterior door. The width of each landing shall be not less than the door served. Landings shall have a dimension of not less than 36 inches (914 mm) measured in the direction of travel. The slope at exterior landings shall not exceed 1/4 unit vertical in 12 units horizontal (2 percent).

Snip20240828_15.png

• Like 1

Thank you, yes the landing tool worked very well. I also found that creating cad lines of every step beforehand was very useful for getting the right curves and having it all to snap in the right spots. Pretty happy with getting everything accurately positioned.

Screenshot 2024-08-28 at 8.41.42 PM.png

• Upvote 1