Window being changed by knee wall

Mackenzie

Go to solution Solved by Renerabbitt,

Hello, I'm currently working on a shower with a window and knee wall on the same wall, I have two problems and help with either would be greatly appreciated.

The first problem is that when I drew a straight half wall and butted it to the exterior wall it changed the size of my window opening (how much drywall was cut out around the frame) and also where it intersects the perpendicular wall it removes the drywall above. It also removed my custom backsplash that was drawn around the window which is odd but I'm assuming I can just add it back.

My second problem is that I cannot figure how to display a window so that wall tile wraps around the inset of the window and ends tight to the window frame, I've tried all the window frame options and when I try to change the frame to tile material it impacts the entire window no matter which paint tool I use. this is a less important issue but would be great to learn how to fix at the same time. 

Thanks again for any help, I'd be happy to watch any videos that might teach me as well but there are too many for me to pick one to start with. 

Screenshot 2024-07-22 at 5.04.36 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-07-22 at 5.08.11 PM.png

26 minutes ago, Mackenzie said:

Hello

post yoour plan file please or if its too large, just copy the 4 walls from that room over to a new plan and post that. See a number of problems here, so no offense meant, the assumption is that there is some bad modeling practices here and would just be easier to troubleshoot the plan

22 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

post yoour plan file please or if its too large, just copy the 4 walls from that room over to a new plan and post that. See a number of problems here, so no offense meant, the assumption is that there is some bad modeling practices here and would just be easier to troubleshoot the plan

There are most certainly at least some bad modeling practices going on here. No need to sugar coat it if it's easier to get your message across I'm still fairly new to the program and looking forward to improving.

Remodel Design Geary Idea copy.plan.zip

• Solution
32 minutes ago, Mackenzie said:

There are most certainly at least some bad modeling practices going on here. No need to sugar coat it if it's easier to get your message across I'm still fairly new to the program and looking forward to improving.

Remodel Design Geary Idea copy.plan.zip 9.91 MB · 0 downloads

see video:

• Like 1

Thank you very much, that should get me where I need to keep the design process moving, I'm sure there were a lot of issues with manually sizing the walls but I was struggling quite a lot with getting the roof to look right and just went with what looked close enough but that lead me to these issues. 

If I manually resized the walls to be correct would that avoid having the issue with not showing siding on the exterior or is that just something I should avoid doing whenever possible?

It looks like at least part of that problem with the roof removing siding and sheathing was due to the roof line being at an angle from my messing with it at some point, I did reset all the top and bottom heights how you showed in your video and it didn't seem to cause any other issues, it even fixed an issue I had with a drywall corner not rendering near the stairway but my handrail does still poke through the floor but that's likely a problem for another day.

If you have the time would you be able to show me also how to get the window wrapped in tile after I build the half wall set as a partition?