Balloon frame gable end wall to roof plane.

threewheeler

I am rebuilding the garage on my house and replacing trusses on the main house. Pretty simple design, but I cam coming into  CA (X15) from a conventional 3d mechanical cad background (Autodesk inventor etc…), as well as a framing background, I don’t think either has done anything for me lol. I think I have gotten over the worst parts of the steep learning curve but I am struggling the most with how to build a full gable wall at the end of the vaulted ceiling before the attached garage. I didn’t realize when I ordered trusses that I shouldn’t use a flat bottom gable there, I get it, it is a hinge point in the wall, even though the garage is on the other side but I want to have no issues with inspection.

Because I have trusses coming already I want to balloon frame the wall to the roof plane and install fire blocking. So far I can build the wall flat topped with a standard gable truss on top(like it was) or frame the wall up to the ceiling plane. How do I do this in CA?

ca.png

frameEx.png

If you want the balloon framed wall to have top plates positioned for upright lookouts, like what is shown here

1209779730_Screenshot2024-06-26184604.thumb.png.20cacacbf96cd67657178eb005b9b069.png

You might have to edit the framing in the wall.

Shown is a scissors truss arrangement inside for 10/12 vaulted ceiling under a 12/12 roof, and 2x6 upright lookouts running from inboard truss to subfacia, the lookouts bearing on the wall plates.