Free X16 HDRi Backgrounds

stevenyhof

Hi Steven,

Is there a way to set HDRi backgrounds to be at a size relative to the Chief model?

Is there a way of positioning the model at the center of the background?

My model is pretty close to the [0,0] origin but I don't see any way of coordinating the HDRi background to the model scale and center.

Hi Joe,

19 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Is there a way to set HDRi backgrounds to be at a size relative to the Chief model?

You can control the size of the backdrop by increasing the Horizontal Tile to 2 - I have done this a few times to push the background away from the model a bit. You may also need to control the Vertical Max and Min to bring it back into the right perspective.

image.thumb.png.2fda7c1bd0ea2385e31d4c15528e084c.png

The only thing I think will work is to move the whole model to more of the center of the default paper size location (I use "D" size). I have not tested if changing the paper size would make a difference - seems like it would. hmmm

Changing the Resolution to something higher makes no difference.

image.thumb.png.68bbbb24abeae8dbe43d307fa91b698d.png

Chief must have a set diameter that it is setting the image size. Right now you can change the Horizontal Tile to 2, to push it away.

2024-06-24-2.thumb.jpg.3a5ce85ccac6233ed80c358da0174695.jpg

2024-06-24-3.thumb.jpg.1b918c884a2f02e2dd4d726a2b23bb1a.jpg

You can use Photoshop, Camera Raw Filter... to mess with the greens and blues and other settings. 

On 6/23/2024 at 2:31 PM, Joe_Carrick said:

Hi Steven,

My model is pretty close to the [0,0] origin but I don't see any way of coordinating the HDRi background to the model scale and center.

Hi Joe,

The way we render backdrops in Chief is tied to the positioning of the camera and not related to the location of the model in the plan. Having your model near the origin or really far away won't impact how the backdrop looks behind it. Moving around the camera relative to the model will change the centering of the backdrop and zooming the camera in or out will change the scale of the backdrop in relation to the model.

One tool which is helpful for positioning the background in your plan is the "Rotate Spherical Backdrop" tool, which can be found in the same tool palette as the "Cross Section Slider" (see attached image). This tool allows you to drag across the screen and adjust the horizontal rotation of your backdrop to get it to line up as desired.

In terms of changing the perspective of the backdrop and maintaining an image that looks accurate, we don't have a way to do that in Chief as the perspective of a spherical backdrop is a result of the original image it comes from and where the camera was positioned within the environment when it took the picture(s) used for the backdrop. Yes, you can change the horizontal tile size to 2 to make the backdrop appear further away, as Steven mentioned, but doing so results in mapping a spherical image onto a hemisphere so it won't look completely correct.

image.png

• Upvote 1

One thing I requested, and it goes against the realistic idea of a spherical backdrop, is to allow both the same backdrop or even a second backdrop to be used and controlled for reflection in the windows/glass. I may want an image of open planes and a mountain in my background, but reflect a forest of trees or a lake of another image in my windows. 

Also on your list is the height adjustment for the reflection. Currently it only reflects whatever the backdrop was captured as, and no control over lifting or lowering the reflective background.