Matching gate on deck and also adding lighted post caps to posts on a deck

NoahJohnson

I work for a deck company and do all the drawings. Im looking to have the drawings show as much as possible to our customers exactly how it will look.

Id love to be able to show a gate on a deck that wraps around a pool. I know there is gate type things in the library but not deck railing gates.

Also. I would like to show 3 D renders of decks with lighted post caps and lights on risers which a lot of customers get. 

Any help would be appreciated.

As of now, options like these, I just have to point an arrow at the location and add text saying "gate" or "lighted risers" but cant visually show them.

Thank you

Break the wall in 2 places that are the width of the gate.  Angle the wall to show it as a gate that is open.  You will have to use an invisible wall where the gate is located so it will continue to be a deck.

javatom's solution is pretty clever and should work.  You could also just draw a short railing and then convert it into a door symbol and use that as your gate.  Or, you could always just make your own gate symbols using all sorts of other tools.

As for the lighted post caps, there is not really a good way to do this automatically.  If you want them to look good and actually cast light then they will need to be lights.  You can build a symbol for the post caps and make them into electrical lights.  The part that will be somewhat painful is placing them manually in a plan and positioning them on top of the posts.  This is the part that would be nice if Chief had a way of doing it automatically.  Another way you could solve this would be to build a post symbol that has the cap built in but uses an emissive material so that it looks like it is a real light.  That might be good enough for almost all cases and much easier.  As for riser lights, I don't think there are any good tricks to make this more automatic so you will probably just have to manually place them.