How to convert 3dsmax files for import to chief?

I have downloaded a few symbols in 3dsmax(from3dsky.org), i wanted to create a symbol in chief.

I downloaded 3dsmax trial software.  Seems like when i convert out of there all i get is one material.

What is the best way to import these type of files into chief?

4 minutes ago, dskogg said:

I have downloaded a few symbols in 3dsmax(from3dsky.org), i wanted to create a symbol in chief.

I downloaded 3dsmax trial software.  Seems like when i convert out of there all i get is one material.

What is the best way to import these type of files into chief?

more often than not someone is UV mapping a texture to an entire mesh instead of divisioning elements out the way we do in chief. This is common practice in order to reduce the texture resolution and maximize graphic memory resources. You would need to remap the texture. Also, 3dsMax supports really really high poly counts. I wouldn't advise purchasing them in the future as they can really slow down the program to a hault. Reccomended Cap is 50K poly assuming a low vector line count after smoothing is applied. A 300K poly item with a ton of vectors can hault chief. Sometimes I can get away with a matterport scan of 600K but its a real chore

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renerabbitt said:

more often than not someone is UV mapping a texture to an entire mesh instead of divisioning elements out the way we do in chief. This is common practice in order to reduce the texture resolution and maximize graphic memory resources. You would need to remap the texture. Also, 3dsMax supports really really high poly counts. I wouldn't advise purchasing them in the future as they can really slow down the program to a hault. Reccomended Cap is 50K poly assuming a low vector line count after smoothing is applied. A 300K poly item with a ton of vectors can hault chief. Sometimes I can get away with a matterport scan of 600K but its a real chore

Thanks Rene....too good to be true

• 1 month later...

You want to export out an obj file with these settings. If it is set up with multiple materials it will bring them into chief and you can adjust them in the material section. But if it doesn't have sections broken out you will only have the one material.

image.thumb.png.37b4f503aaacb7a0d7373c0d9c7fc92d.png

I have had problems with importing .obj files into chief architect. If you try to import .obj with one or many textures. It will be broken into triangles when you import it into Chief with only one material. Its been a long time, I have never imported obj, or any other file format into Chief except DAE.

Solution: This is the best way I have found so far.

1.Download Blender its free.

2. Import your obj into blender.

3. Setup Different materials for different parts.

4. Export a DAE file from blender.

Boom no errors, no broken models plus you get all the materials.

If it does not solve your problem or you question, hit me up at info@anradigital.com. I'll be happy to help.

Try my 20 high quality wall lights pack for Chief Architect at 

https://9573410345710.gumroad.com/l/armanchahal?fbclid=PAZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAaZhLwUR4bMVy1Q9mUR9wHhKa5qkRm_Hy_5lsY8Mdindc9vpPFS8Sn1vsDY_aem_eSd05iL1Rjph2_Pk5ULx2Q

Tip: Download Blender kit addon and you can use all the free models available.