Client Portal and Project Management Software Recommendations

DefinedDesign

We've come to realize the necessity of having a centralized platform to manage all our projects and communications with clients and vendors. However, our budget doesn't allow for expensive options like BuilderTrend or other building software costing $500 or more per month. We're specifically seeking a product that is user-friendly for our clients and allows us to upload design details for their approval. Additionally, it should offer flexible invoicing options such as combining line items into one price, accepting deposits and retainers. It should also provide tools for tracking project timelines, ideally with a Gantt chart or similar feature. Integrating seamlessly with QuickBooks is crucial for us.

Eager to hear what solutions others in similar situations are using.

I've previously posted this in response to a similar post:

Data & Financial Management:

I use Microsoft SharePoint as my primary repository for company files, with all design working files and assets (Chief Architect, Lumion, Adobe Creative apps, etc) on a local drive. I manage financials with Quickbooks Online. I use Microsoft Office 365 Business apps, including the use of Teams for project management and collaborating with clients. I sync SharePoint with OneDrive, and keep copies of all company files on a local drive synced to OneDrive. I also back up the company files to a NAS, and I back up the entirety of my Office 365 data (including all SharePoint files) to a cloud backup service. Design working files are backed up to a second local drive and another NAS. I also use Dialpad through my T-Mobile business account, allowing Ai to identify action items in my calls and messaging for adding to my task lists.

Document Sharing:

I have a folder for each project in my working files, and another in my company files. As I generate product to share with clients and trade partners, I save a copy from the working files project folder to the company files project folder, and the project folder is accessible through a tab in Teams for the project team. 

Contracts & Payments:

I use Adobe Sign for distributing and tracking contracts for e-signing. I both collect and make payments by ACH, with a handful of recurring expenses paid by debit card. I use a sweep account at my bank to receive payments (for more account security). 

It may sound like a lot, but it's actually very easy to use my system. I have redundant and accessible data storage, effective and easily searchable communications, efficient and easily auditable legal and financial transactions, and the ability to manage my business entirely from a Surface Pro tablet when I'm in the field or traveling - without any loss of functionality. I also use almost no paper, other than printing hard copies of layouts. 

Microsoft Teams:

Teams allows you to create a new team for each project, and to invite people to join from outside of your organization, such as clients, contractors, and engineers. Each team has access to the corresponding project folder in SharePoint. You can add apps to each team as needed, such as Planner for task management, Calendar, Adobe, and Approvals. The video conferencing, post, and chat features concentrate communications into a single platform, and maintain a record of communications for future reference as needed. 

This structure works well for me because it is easy to manage, effective, inexpensive, and scalable. It does not integrate into Quickbooks. I use Quickbooks Time for tracking billable hours, as well as time tracking in Chief Architect. 

• Like 1

I have had great luck with Honeybook for my client portal.  It keeps all of our communications and files in one centralized place and once you set it up with personalized templates, it make onboarding and and obtaining signed contracts a breeze.  It offers invoicing, but I still use QuickBooks for that.  It is not perfect, but they seem to be pumping out new features pretty often, and they are open to suggestions for improvements.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1