Doll house and other camera views are dark, not color selected

harrylev

HD Architectural 2023

The cabinets are "snow white" but the rendered views all look gray and muddy. It's been a while since used this but my recollection is that they used to render colors better. I certainly could have adjusted a preference that I didn't intend to. I tried some variations on light settings but did not detect a change. I have a few lights in the design but have not really looked at them carefully for actual lighting needs yet. For kicks I changed one of the door fronts to a pansy. That is the third screenshot. It certainly isn't gray anymore.

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 2.14.01 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 2.08.12 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 2.19.42 PM.png

White will look grey unless it has a lot of light shinning directly on it.  If all you have is ceiling lights that are all pointed down, you are not going to see much definition.  Try playing around with adding some more lights (using the add lights tool if you have it) or maybe even making the white material slightly emissive to make it look brighter.

BTW, home designer has it's own forum here and other users might have other suggestions:

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/

• Upvote 1

I'm not familiar with HD but this gives me flashbacks to CA X13 that had issues dealing with standard rendering.... even the library item pictures looked poor. CA worked out the issues to have much improved pics in the next update, but until then they suggested turning off shadows and putting the ambient occlusion to 0. This did seem to help. You may also try to view your cabinets with the sun shining on the front surface instead of the tops in your doll house views. As you know, not all whites are created equal. I have had good luck in standard view with "white" being the brightest and least gray. As DB suggested, using the light tool to add in a light sources really makes a difference - gives the lumens without the fixture.