Should terrain elevation data always be on floor 0? Does it matter if 0' is higher or lower

cbucks

I have a terrain that has about a 75' elevation change from road. Is it best for me to make the road 0 and the higher point +75' or 0' the top where it is relatively flat and -75' for the road or does it matter? Don't know if program wise interpolation is faster one way or another?  Should terrain elevation data always be on floor 0?

24 minutes ago, cbucks said:

Is it best for me to make the road 0 and the higher point +75' or 0' the top where it is relatively flat and -75' for the road or does it matter?

Doesn't matter at all. going from 0 up 75' is the same interpolation as -75' up to 0. Just be consistent and you'll be fine.

24 minutes ago, cbucks said:

Should terrain elevation data always be on floor 0?

Doesn't *technically* matter, it can be on floor 3 if you really want! I prefer it on 0 myself though because of the option that cuts a hole in the terrain where the structure is. I much prefer that hole to be made around my foundation than floor 1 walls. Floor 1 tends to cut more than it should and leaves gaps because of wall siding.

• Upvote 1