MN_JohnH

I have been searching and can't seem to find any information on working with SKM files.
I use 3dwarehouse a lot and it is great for the SKP files but if I want to use some of their texture files I am not able to import them to a new material in Chief.
I don't have sketchup so going back to that to convert them is not an option.

I didn't know anything about skm files but when I googled them I did find this info that might help:

skm files are actually renamed zip archives. If you change the extension to zip, you can find the image file (and some xml files describing certain properties). So basically you cannot convert an skm file into a jpg file but you can extract it from inside.

So it probably isn't too hard to make a new Chief material using the extracted jpg but you might have to play around with the material settings to get the right look.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DBCooper said:

I didn't know anything about skm files but when I googled them I did find this info that might help:

skm files are actually renamed zip archives. If you change the extension to zip, you can find the image file (and some xml files describing certain properties). So basically you cannot convert an skm file into a jpg file but you can extract it from inside.

So it probably isn't too hard to make a new Chief material using the extracted jpg but you might have to play around with the material settings to get the right look.

Thanks for the answer. I tried that whole zip thing and couldn't get it to work. So it seems like the easiest answer is to forget about using SKM files and just look for jpegs for my textures etc.
Thank you

• Like 1