Chief With Sli? Yes/no

VisualDandD

I think I have heard many times that chief does not support SLI.   I have a few nice R9280x cards lying around doing nothing. (About on par with a GTX770)   Was going to put them with i7-4790k.

I know nvidia cards they say are preferred, but I have the R9's  already.  These are actually 'toxic' cards which are overclocked from the factory and have 3 large fans on each.

So is SLI a possibility?   

Besides that, any issues with them being AMD.

Thanks guys!

BTW currently running 660gtx with i7 950 and it is getting up in age.....figured it would be a nice upgrade. 

No CA doesn't activate SLI/CrossFire though you can use Surround Mode which I was doing with two GTX470's till a month ago , when I went to a single GTX970, now the old i7-950 CPU is bottle necking me....., I guess you are aware the GPU doesn't help with Ray Tracing? it is all done on the CPU apparently, at least in current versions.

Did you get you G13 up and running?

M.

Yep been running the G13 for a while again now.   Really using it for 10key, feet inches, a shift and ctrl key and copy paste.

I can do most of my drawing without touching my keyboard.   Mouse in right and g13 in left.

I finished specing my new comp today.   My current is not bad, i7950 3.0712gbmem with gtx 660 card, but I figured I do a new build because I had some stuff lying around.

I have 5 r9280x toxic cards lying around.(mining experiment)  They are pretty fast cards, I also had a z87g45 motherboard and several ssd's along with 32gb of DDR3 1600mem.

Just realized to use the some of the new features of the I7 4790k I had to go up to a new z97 board, so I ordered that.   Basically going to pop in 2-240gb ssd's and I have 2-2tb conventional drives (one for storage and the other is a backup which I run a RAID type storage software)

Not sure if I will try to 'crossfire' 2 video cards if chief cant use it.   I have 2 monitors, a 27" Dell@ 2560x1440 and a Asus24" @ 1920x1080.   Not sure if crossfire benefits me at all....

I have win8.1pro and win 7pro.   Not sure what OS I am going to use....Been using win7 for a while....but might jump up to the never OS even though I dont like a bunch of stuff about it.

you might get a bit more out of your 950 , mine overclocks fine with an after market cooler to 3.6. (160FSB) 

AMD does Eyefinity (similar to Nvidia Surround) , it then uses both cards to drive the 3 monitors same as Nvidia SLI Surround but my new 970 does 3 monitors ( more actually) with one card so the heat is lower and the noise is much lower which was a big factor in my choice.

Would you mind posting your G13 profile to your post in the Chatroom so  I could try it out, thx.

• Upvote 1

My g13 profile wont do much as I had to designate a bunch of hot-keys to use functions I wanted.

I can explain my profile though....   It is not complicated....and really just bare bones at this state.   I'll see if I can find that thread....