Angular dimension problem

LightHouse_Doug

Go to solution Solved by TeaTime,

Hi, 

I'm having trouble with the angular dimension tool. Trying to dimension two floor beams (see attached pic). The 90 degrees is correct, but why is it not snapping to the edge of the beam? My locate objects settings are also attached, and are set to locate the sides of framing. They are steel I beams, not that that should affect anything... 

Thanks. 

angle dimension problem1.png

angle dimension problem.png

Yes, X12. If I edit area and copy it to a new plan, won't that plan have all different settings? The plan I have the question about is an old plan that does not have all my current defaults etc. set. I can't seem to get the file small enough to attach here, even zipped. 

2 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

Well, for what it's worth, it looks like you already have a dimension there working how you want it to, on the Dimensions, Framing - Floor layer.

image.thumb.png.9aaac5b73576db67e8a8aae38e021931.png

Thanks, but the problem is that I'm trying to create a new saved plan view for structural steel that doesn't have all the floor framing dimensions on it. 

• Solution

Yeah. I totally get that.

Interesting issue I can't say I've encountered before.

I pulled your Beams away and the original Framing dimension followed it like I'd expect, but when drawing new angular dimensions I see two things happening:

1) I can still draw a dimension to the "center" of where the beam WAS - which appears to be the railing above, even though it's not displayed AND the dimension defaults are set not to even locate walls.

and

2) as long as they're away from those hidden railings, a new angular dimension does attach to the sides as expected.

image.thumb.png.9cbaa44d90eb91aea90799ca349e4546.png

Kind of a pain but you can pull those beams out, dimension them, them center-align them back into position.

Also, are you aware that those railings on Floor 1 that these dimensions are snapping to are uh, for lack of a better term, subterranean?

image.thumb.png.1e9d721c3e40057da4e58342b362df91.png

1 hour ago, TeaTime said:

Yeah. I totally get that.

Interesting issue I can't say I've encountered before.

I pulled your Beams away and the original Framing dimension followed it like I'd expect, but when drawing new angular dimensions I see two things happening:

1) I can still draw a dimension to the "center" of where the beam WAS - which appears to be the railing above, even though it's not displayed AND the dimension defaults are set not to even locate walls.

and

2) as long as they're away from those hidden railings, a new angular dimension does attach to the sides as expected.

image.thumb.png.9cbaa44d90eb91aea90799ca349e4546.png

Kind of a pain but you can pull those beams out, dimension them, them center-align them back into position.

Also, are you aware that those railings on Floor 1 that these dimensions are snapping to are uh, for lack of a better term, subterranean?

image.thumb.png.1e9d721c3e40057da4e58342b362df91.png

Ha, thanks for catching that. This model is quite messed up from lots of changes that I haven't had time to properly fix. Deleting that railing seemed to fix the issue. The strange thing is that railings are turned off in that layer set...