Limiting Material Buy List Sizing??

ColePOC

I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find a way to limit board sizes to common lengths.     When I report my material list and go to "buy list"    CA has me apparently "buying" 2 - 73' 2x6 boards   and a few 2x4 x 63'  boards.      This obviously is not a buy list since I can't buy those. :)

Is there a way I can tell CA to only purchase lengths of no greater than 16'?       I can do the math to break those longer lengths but wanted to know if limiting the board buy list to no greater than 16'

10 hours ago, ColePOC said:

I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find a way to limit board sizes to common lengths.     When I report my material list and go to "buy list"    CA has me apparently "buying" 2 - 73' 2x6 boards   and a few 2x4 x 63'  boards.      This obviously is not a buy list since I can't buy those. :)

You may also be getting long linear lengths if you haven't checked the box for the max plate length found in the wall layers specification.

Here is an idea that I use for the 'other' common board purchasing lengths. 

Contractors around here usually only order pre-cut studs (by the lift) for all the wall vertical framing, and 10', 12', 16' for plate material. I utilized the 'comment' part of the material list to add the trimmer studs to the pre-cut stud count (as you can't buy this exact length either) so the contractor doesn't need to optimize the oddball length pieces out of 10', 12', 16' lumber. 

I created a new Buy List, removed the lumber that I did not want to purchase, added in the common lengths (pre-cut studs) and those that will be created from openings (ie Trimmer studs), then arranged the selection order hierarchy. You will need to edit each line of lumber that you can't purchase at the lumber yard (ie trimmer stud lengths) to add in your comment (ie  92 5/8" pre-cut  ). When you print off the material list, Chief will give a qty count of the different lengths of studs (trimmers and cripples) and select according to your hierarchy lines of the created buy list. Thus you get a nice neat list of oddball lumber sizes that have a comment to include them with lumber that can actually be purchased - the lift of pre-cuts. I believe that it gives a better real life count as most of the trimmer stud waste gets used for stuff that we don't usually take the time to draw (endless blocking, temp jigs, firewood...). If you just let Chief divide the linear add ups, I'm sure that someone will give you an earful when he has 5 pcs @10' plus 5 pcs @12'  and needs 15 pieces at 92 5/8" = more wasted dollars cutting the long stuff and he'll need to scrounge some bad culled lumber to finish up.

There may be an easier way, but this works pretty well for me...

163357602_BuyListMethod.thumb.png.c3385538a6882301d1bba9033ee4d9d0.png