Escape vs. Space Bar Keys

JKEdmo

Go to solution Solved by DBCooper,

I feel like I should know this by now, but I don't.

What's the difference between space bar and escape keys in Chief, if any?  I find myself wanting to use the escape key a lot to "leave" a tool mode.  Likely a habit from other programs...

Thanks again,

Jim

• Solution

"Space" always puts you into select objects (arrow) mode.

"Escape" will either cancel the current selection or put you back into the previous command mode.

Also, if you go into the customize hotkeys dialog and type in either, it will give you a general description of each.

@DBCooperhit the nail on the head. Spacebar is the default hotkey for "Select Objects" mode. The escape key will close an open dialog or cancel out of an open text box (think moving objects with dimensions). If you don't have a dialog open or a text box active, the escape key will then cycle in reverse order through the tools you previously used.

So, pretend you had drawn some walls, then placed a window, then placed a base cabinet. If you then pressed the escape key, you would change from the base cabinet tool back to the window tool. If you pressed escape again, you would then go back to the wall tool.

15 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

"Space" always puts you into select objects (arrow) mode.

"Escape" will either cancel the current selection or put you back into the previous command mode.

Also, if you go into the customize hotkeys dialog and type in either, it will give you a general description of each.

Thanks!  Very helpful.

Jim

5 minutes ago, kellyh said:

@DBCooperhit the nail on the head. Spacebar is the default hotkey for "Select Objects" mode. The escape key will close an open dialog or cancel out of an open text box (think moving objects with dimensions). If you don't have a dialog open or a text box active, the escape key will then cycle in reverse order through the tools you previously used.

So, pretend you had drawn some walls, then placed a window, then placed a base cabinet. If you then pressed the escape key, you would change from the base cabinet tool back to the window tool. If you pressed escape again, you would then go back to the wall tool.

Thanks.  Super helpful. 

I watched how escape cycles through different tools, and thought it was tripping out! 

Jim