Spiral Stairs - Current Status?

JKEdmo

Had to do my first spiral stair today for an as-built and surprised that the stair tool could not handle it.

I wound up using the library symbol.

Just curious about X15's current ability to create spiral stairs?  I read a number of old forum threads about the topic.  If I understood correctly, spiral stairs still need fussy workarounds.  Still true?

Thanks,

Jim

• 1 month later...

Jim,

Dealing with spiral stairs myself and looked it up just in case a new feature was added. Not that I know of, and it is a PITA as far as representation goes. It is not visible from floor to floor in plan view.

I included the block I use in case it is better than what you have found.

Good luck.

Mark

Large Spiral Stair.calibz

Jim, @JKEdmo

I am getting pretty darn close to a spiral using a straight stair, selecting the end and then bending it into a curved stair holding down the ALT key.

One I got it curved, I am now in the process of getting the settings as close as possible to what I need and then will move it into position and see how it works. See if these settings give you a good head start.

image.thumb.png.0a592ea314dc040d150ce57bf9994c26.png

I will follow this topic, so let me know if you learn anything significant.

Thanks,

Mark

FYI:

R311.7.10.1 Spiral stairways.

The clear width at and below the handrails at spiral stairways shall be not less than 26 inches (660 mm) and the walkline radius shall be not greater than 241/2 inches (622 mm). Each tread shall have a depth of not less than 63/4 inches (171 mm) at the walkline. Treads shall be identical, and the rise shall be not more than 91/2 inches (241 mm). Headroom shall be not less than 6 feet 6 inches (1982 mm).

2 minutes ago, KnotSquare said:

I am getting pretty darn close to a spiral using a straight stair, selecting the end and then bending it into a curved stair holding down the ALT key.

Thanks Mark.  Looks pretty cool.  I'll try this tomorrow.

Jim

RT Ray Trace:

image.thumb.png.3fa710a49e5a2699f2bcc8b1ba68bce7.png

My home has 9' ceilings built using pre-cut studs, plus 3/4 T&G plywood, 1/4" foam pad and 3/4" engineered hardwood floors. The settings I landed on are:

image.thumb.png.2d9653fef32c6e1aafb445bc6c718c0d.png

I then placed a post in the center, opened it up, changed it to round with a 3" radius and stretch it up to match the railing height.

I set all materials to Black Brushed Metal.

I am happy with the results.

Good luck with yours tomorrow.

Mark

I build mine in two sections for each transition (floor one to floor two; and then two to floor three - 4 stair sections total).  This allows me to control the riser and run without it going wonky.  Granted this was a tactic I learned in X14 and it may be fixed in X15.

image.thumb.png.d635c74eb3d2c3d88bddf34b9c615744.png

461555672_CampRaytrace1-AD(11_16.23)-Rear.thumb.jpg.88d4ef1b33748a2a089df8d9bcde9998.jpg

3 minutes ago, DeLayDesign said:

I build mine in two sections

Looks really great!

I think I read in a previous post that a limitation of a single stair flight is that it cannot overlap or cross over itself in plan.  Is this why you stacked 2 sections?

Jim

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JKEdmo said:

Looks really great!

I think I read in a previous post that a limitation of a single stair flight is that it cannot overlap or cross over itself in plan.  Is this why you stacked 2 sections?

Jim

Yep.  I believe I started a conversation a few months ago about it.