Send File To Builder?

JDTyler

Go to solution Solved by DRAWZILLA,

If the Builder has Chief, he may tune into this forum...if so Mr. Builder, feel free to chime in...

On a serious note: I get PDF's from architects all the time to bid and build from when I am not doing Design/Build. Those files from the architect, I print when needed and could care less about taking any copyrighted designs - they are solely for my subs to bid from and I use to build from to pay the bills. My files are locked for editing but as I said not printing. If someone really wants the design there are just too many ways to do so. I say do send the PDF's locked for editing/copying but NO way on sending Chief Files. That's equivalent to asking to borrow someones w_fe

Many larger cities are establishing electronic submittals for plan check with electronic document requirements. The newer generation contractors are now migrating to working off of digital copies. I am in a unique situation where I also see the trade side:  Sometimes I catch myself getting pissed when a sub takes my plans and treats them as if they were any old piece of paper to put their tools on and haphazardly drag through jobsite as each sheet starts pulling from the bindings on day one. By the time the project is done, the plans look like someones 15 yr old underwear. Not that I'd know what that looks like. That's when I regroup and realize there is a whole other motivation for the trades to have the plans. Those guys care less about my designs - just get er done and on to the next job.  But there are few out there that have ulterior motives and this guy either has no social skills in the design world or... 

FIL or not dont give out the .plan file if at all possible. a pdf is sufficient. if you are "forced" to give out the low level .plan file, charge a small fee for it. $300. that will hopefully shed some light on what the real motivation for the .plan file is for...  on the other hand, if the design is good, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. well done :)

Richard, I like that one allot.

Don't get me started on Builder clients they are one of the most presumptuous forms of life existing.

One of my Architect lecturers told us to watch for Doctor's and Lawyers as well.

Yes I am paranoid after dealing with some of these monsters.

I think we have had our fair share of bad clients.

Richard, has some very good Ideas on handelling legal matters like these.

My FIL is not a builder but he still thinks I owe him a bride price or something like that just for marrying his daughter and I guess we all have our monster outlaw story to tell.

I don't fight them I don't let them waste my time.

Never be desparate enough to accept any design or drawing job that comes along, we are better off doing some other work if it comes to that.