Wall Hatch Pattern Question

JKEdmo

Go to solution Solved by VHampton,

Good morning,

In elevation or 3D, is there a way to control / offset the hatch pattern on a wall-by-wall basis?

For example, in order to have my CMU begin as a full course on top of its footing, or to have the lap siding start with a full plank on the first / lower row.

Thanks once again,

Jim

image.thumb.png.4cf829eae8cbc0b6d1f6046e25702cc6.png

image.thumb.png.727a67154d496988dc100ab0bc151671.png

• Solution

Take a 3D view. 

Use the adjust material definition (rainbow icon).

Dialogue box will open.

Go to patterns. 

That's where the grout line on the CMU block can be raised or lowered.

image.thumb.png.622faea3934c9dec3a533e391276b961.png

9 minutes ago, VHampton said:

Take a 3D view. 

Use the adjust material definition (rainbow icon).

Dialogue box will open.

Go to patterns. 

That's where the grout line on the CMU block can be raised or lowered.

image.thumb.png.622faea3934c9dec3a533e391276b961.png

Very cool.  Thanks!

One question - it looks like this controls the hatch of the material globally, right?

Jim

4 hours ago, JKEdmo said:

One question - it looks like this controls the hatch of the material globally, right?

Jim, that is correct. If you need different offsets for different walls/areas you would have to create copies of the material as needed.

It would be handy if you could adjust material offsets on a wall by wall basis, or if the materials themselves were "smart" and would know to set the origin of the patterns at logical points such as the tops of footings, corners, etc.,. I can imagine someday we'll have an AI assistant to take care of that kind of stuff. :)

5 hours ago, JKEdmo said:

Very cool.  Thanks!

Jim

You're quite welcome... and yes it's a global change.  When variations are required there's a simple solution.

Click on a wall. Dialogue box will open. Copy the wall type - and rename it.  Then make a new pattern pattern orientation on certain walls.  

This will provide a degree of flexibility if that's what you may be looking for. 

Caution... this is an old school Chief User's approach, so I may get bashed for suggesting. 

I don't use the paint wall tools. The earlier versions never had them - and the above literally takes two seconds. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tundra_dweller said:

Jim, that is correct. If you need different offsets for different walls/areas you would have to create copies of the material as needed.

Thank you sir!

17 minutes ago, VHampton said:

Caution... this is an old school Chief User's approach, so I may get bashed for suggesting.

Thanks!  old school = good school!

Jim

56 minutes ago, VHampton said:

Click on a wall. Dialogue box will open. Copy the wall type - and rename it.  Then make a new pattern pattern orientation on certain walls.  

This will provide a degree of flexibility if that's what you may be looking for. 

This is generally how I have learned to do it too, but I haven't figured out the best way to manage all the different wall types. Do you usually just leave those kind of oddball wall types that are mostly specific to each project in their plan file, or add them to the user library?  Carrying everything forward in a template plan would get pretty unruly I would think.

And yes, this place wouldn't be the resource it is without old school users.

Do you usually just leave those kind of oddball wall types that are mostly specific to each project in their plan file, or add them to the user library? 

Hi Brett,

So to answer, every project is unique.  When starting from scratch, repurposing a former plan file with wall types A,B,C is totally fine. The exterior wall type which the clones were generated from will always be the default. (The clones can be used as needed, or they can be deleted.) 

Typically, I don't save wall types in the library since they're pretty easy to cut and paste from past jobs. But having said that, the "Library save" is a quite a helpful feature, even if some of us still do everything like it's 1999.  Hope this helps. ...and thank you.

...and glad to be of help Jim. This is true! 

2 hours ago, JKEdmo said:

Thanks!  old school = good school!

On a side... I just finished a project where your very same issue came up.

A clone of the siding type was made for the roof fascia and BINGO... the roof facia was toggled to match the same spacing as the siding. 

Waterside.thumb.jpg.1522cb3f645c571842b58ec0bb6cb14a.jpg