Trying to delete a Wall Type but it is in use, how can I find the culprit

OldBarnDesign

Go to solution Solved by tundra_dweller,

Hey folks,

Trying to clean up my wall type definitions and was wondering what strategies you can employ to track down where a particular wall type is being used.

When I try to delete a wall type in the Wall Type Definition DBX it tells me that this one wall type is in use in my plan, and perhaps it is being used in my defaults. Here is what I've done to try and figure out where it is but apparently, I haven't found the culprit yet.

1) I turned the exterior material of the wall type I want to delete bright red so I could see if anything in my plan is using it.

2) I went through every single wall default and made sure that those definitions are not using the wall type I want to delete.

Are there other defaults that use a wall type that I'm missing?

Thanks!

Cody

• Solution

How about creating a wall schedule, then select the offending wall on the schedule, and hit the "Find in Plan" button on the edit toolbar? If it's found on more than one floor you'll get a prompt to select which floor you want to find it on, so if it's hiding in the attic somewhere it should find it for you.

2023-07-16_11-00-38.thumb.png.1ad968deb345da522fb6a94fe7170bb6.png

2023-07-16_11-01-51.thumb.png.432a7fded9b22bf02a6660a0d91fa501.png

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, tundra_dweller said:

How about creating a wall schedule, then select the offending wall on the schedule, and hit the "Find in Plan" button on the edit toolbar? If it's found on more than one floor you'll get a prompt to select which floor you want to find it on, so if it's hiding in the attic somewhere it should find it for you.

Brilliant! Exactly what I was looking for! The wall was in the plan and invisible. That did it for me. Thanks!

• Upvote 1