2x4 Water Wall w/Niche Build over 2x6 Exterior Wall

Drew-PRH

Good day,

I am needing to place a 2x4 partial wall (pony wall) over a portion of the 2x6 Exterior Wall.

For Example:

The 2x4 Pony Wall will join the 2x6 Exterior wall - stud to stud.

As seen in the images, the Pony Wall will be 64" high, and have a niche within that wall.

Tile will not apply properly to the 2x6 exterior portion on the interior side.

So I am having some issues with creating the proper application so all walls looks and flow together.

Thanks for the insight to build this proper :D

- Drew

Exterior Shower Wall 1.jpg

Exterior Shower Wall 2.jpg

Exterior Shower Wall 3.jpg

Exterior Shower Wall 4.jpg

You need to make the half wall a 'furred wall' in the Structure tab. However, there will still be some drywall missing, but on the ends instead of the back.

image.thumb.png.eb63f9e2352084763ee14f357e2f801d.png

This can be corrected by editing the wall layer intersections in plan view. Select the side walls, click the  Edit Wall Layer Intersections tool and extend the drywall layer to the back wall.

In the view below, I have simply 'painted' the drywall material to tile for the Shower room, so it's not 100% accurate but the principle applies. I would add backsplashes once the design was finalized.

image.thumb.png.3ccbac70702be2d93cf6f6bf5b92cbd1.png

• 1 month later...

Thank you Robert,

Been busy with other items and not sure how I missed your info - Thank You.

I'll revisit those areas and implement your suggestion, as it looks like it worked for you just fine.

And I'll apply tile as well to the upper portion of Exterior Wall with a Window inserted.

Thanks again - Drew:D

• Like 1

@Drew-PRH Glad to hear you have your issue taken care of. If you get the chance, please check the the post that helped you as solution which will help others! Thx. And maybe post an image of your result after you've implemented the fix. It's helpful and interesting to others to see the before and after!