Shear Wall Design in the framing plans

PhillipsPlans22

Hey, so I have had a couple of projects close to the Gulf of Mexico. They require Shear Wall design in the framing plans. Not really sure if I should just start adding them to my designs. Its not a bad idea in Tornado Ally where I live and its not a crazy concept to understand. I did not see a conversation about it so I thought I would start one. 

ShearWallForces-1024x894.jpg

Doesn't matter if I add or don't add shear wall details on my plans down here on the coast in Alabama. The engineer's will provide their own details anyway and override mine and stamp their own structural drawings. I made the details and have them in my library though.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

Doesn't matter if I add or don't add shear wall details on my plans down here on the coast in Alabama. The engineer's will provide their own details anyway and override mine and stamp their own structural drawings. I made the details and have them in my library though.

This is a fair point, if it requires and engineer they are going to do what they want. I was just wondering if anyone has done them for customers when it wasn't required but the customer wanted them. Here is North Texas there not required on a residential project. But it would help make the house stronger in case of a tornado. 

4 minutes ago, PhillipsPlans22 said:

Here is North Texas there not required on a residential project.

The IRC (CRC here in California) has a requirement for both seismic and wind loads.  Even if you don't need an Architect or Engineer there's still a lateral bracing requirement.

Personally, I've created a set of macros and symbols to meet the code requirements.