Managing Line Style and Text Size from Plan View to Layout

DRyeHD

Go to solution Solved by TeaTime,

I've read several articles and the CA helps on line style management but can't figure out how to make line styles look right on a layout.  Per the attachment, I created three different line styles to represent a fence.  I can live with any of them in plan view but when I sent it to layout, I don't like any of them.

Would someone provide some guidance on how to represent something like this in the plan and still get it to look right on a layout?  TIA!

Fence.pdf

• Solution

The first thing to keep in mind is how the chief displays text in Plan view by default -- there's default text sizes that it uses to keep things legible, but that doesn't show what it actually is going to look like. Toggling Print Preview (right toolbar) will show the true text size, for line styles as well as dimensions, text, labels, etc.

With Print Preview off, it makes it a guessing game, 'cause as you zoom out the text will remain the same size on the screen, becoming relatively larger in the view.

image.thumb.png.1094ec3327b46217a8bc260df06d0f62.pngimage.png.c39bf683dd60c072f9d5e82232a1317a.png

Toggling it on will show the actual size as it'll be seen on the layout

image.thumb.png.bd7322423998a93fb3a3e354ac087f7a.png image.thumb.png.78e0f0b39fc79c5a30cf80676c149bf8.png

this is plan vs layout. Also note that the line styles on the layout are the same viewable size regardless of Layout Box Scale ^

If the sizes of the ones chief supplies in the Library are too big/small/whatever, you'll need to add the Line Style to your user library to fiddle with it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@TeaTimethanks for the run through of this.  By following your input, I made some changes and did some comparisons.  I was able to adjust the fence line with the line management tools to what works for me.  I can see where the Print Preview is useful (both on and off).

• Upvote 1