More ?'s About Roof Returns

Evolution

Client wants roof returns.

I added them using the auto roof return, however I cannot find a way to break them on each side of the porch roof (see the existing summer house) clips. When I add the auto return up to a point (=/- 100") or so it bulds fine, but isnt full length. When I make it (by dimension) full width of the house, then it cuts off the fascia on the right side of the porch roof.

BELIEVE ME, I've searched for the EXACT or nearly exact issue, but no easy find info. SO, I KEEP COMING BACK HERE WITH QUESTIONS!

Maybe in my past life, you could grab the roof return and drag it as far as you wanted it? CRAZY I should think that? But, I can't grab it in plan, elevation section, or 3D and drag it.

TELL ME IT is something simple? I'm pretty simple; so why can't I find it? I shouldn't think they'd have to be built manually. OH yes, key word search on forum "roof return" did bring up a couple of things I tried, but the same thing happens.

post-1662-0-27424300-1423675203_thumb.png

Well, the one thing I'd not tried was breaking the wall on each side of the porch roof, then open each wall dbx seperately and play with the roof return dimension until it membered with the porch roof. Problem solved (but the time it takes to figure it out is time I can't charge the client).

There probably is an easier way, BUT; then again this may be the answer? At least this time it worked for ME.

post-1662-0-68837700-1423676946_thumb.png

Post the plan?

BTW, I draw most of my roofs 'manually' also...

Interestingly enough, I was recently chastised (of sorts) for attempting the original roof "manually" and several said they draw their roofs using the "auto-build roof tool" and adjust it manually.

The BEST help on roof's yet, came from Glenn Woodward, who suggested using make roof plane polly line and in most (if not all cases) I wouldn't have the fumbling-stumbling roof problems I've had on the lake house plan that fixed (most of the big issues on my roof), which by the way was my first attempt at this large and complicated structure jumping from HD Pro 10 to CA X6. I imagine ALL OF YOU have started somewhere, to wind up where you are (using CA X whatever version) so I DON'T feel intimidated, I will improve with every mistake and probably learn to FIX most of them with the idea I AM NOT ALONE in the march toward perfection!!!!!

I will stay with it until I fix it.

Thanks!